[17 December 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Dihydroergotamine mesylate injection, Bedford
1 mg/mL, 1 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 55390-0013-10)
Dihydroergotamine mesylate injection, Paddock Labs (Perrigo)
1 mg/mL, 1 mL ampule, 5 count (NDC 00574-0850-05)
1 mg/mL, 1 mL ampule, 10 count (NDC 00574-0850-10)
D.H.E. 45, Valeant Pharmaceuticals
1 mg/mL, 1 mL ampule, 10 count (NDC 66490-0041-01)
Reason for the Shortage
- Ben Venue has stopped production in its plant in Bedford, Ohio and will close in early 2014. Ben Venue supplies multiple sterile injectable products for Bedford Laboratories. Supplies of product that has already been manufactured will continue to be released until inventory is depleted. Bedford Laboratories has a small number of products manufactured elsewhere that are not affected by this closure.
- Paddock and Valeant cannot provide a reason for the shortage of dihydroergotamine mesylate injection.
Insufficient supplies for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Bedford has dihydroergotamine mesylate injection on long-term back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. Ben Venue manufactured dihydroergotamine for Bedford.
- Paddock has dihydroergotamine mesylate 1 mL ampules in 10 count on back order until mid-January 2014. Paddock has limited supplies of dihydroergotamine mesylate 1 mL ampules in 5 count.
- Valeant has D.H.E. 45 on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
December 17, 2013; November 13, 2013; October 10, 2013; September 16, 2013; August 14, 2013, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins