[05 March 2014]
Products Affected - Description
Phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg/mL – American Regent
1 mL vials (NDC 00517-0299-25)
5 mL vials (NDC 00517-0405-25)
Phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg/mL – Sandoz
5 mL vials (NDC 66758-0016-04)
10 mL vials (NDC 66758-0017-01)
Reason for the Shortage
- Sandoz discontinued the phenylephrine 1 mL presentations prior to 2011.
- Hospira discontinued their Neo-Synephrine injections in May, 2010.
- Teva discontinued their phenylephrine injections in mid-December, 2010.
- American Regent has phenylephrine injection on shortage due to increased demand for the product.
- West-Ward could not provide a reason for the shortage of phenylephrine injection.
Phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg/mL – West-Ward
1 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 00641-6142-25)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has phenylephrine 10 mg/mL 1 mL and 5 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Sandoz has phenylephrine 10 mg/mL 5 mL and 10 mL vials on back order and the company estimates a release date of late-March 2014.
March 5, 2014; January 24, 2014; January 14, 2014; January 3, 2014; December 12, 2013; October 7, 2013; August 26, 2013; July 16, 2013; April 29, 2013; March 26, 2013; February 20, 2013; February 11, 2013 University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins