[10 May 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Rabies immune globulin 150 units/mL (Imogam Rabies-HT), Sanofi Pasteur
2 mL vials (NDC 49281-0190-20)
10 mL vial (NDC 49281-0190-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Sanofi Pasteur states the reason for the shortage is increased demand and manufacturing delay.1
Rabies immune globulin 150 units/mL (HyperRAB S/D), Grifols 2
2 mL vial (NDC 13533-0618-02)
10 mL vial (NDC 13533-0618-10)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Sanofi Pasteur has Imogam 10 mL vials available for post exposure use only. Imogam 2 mL vials are on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.1
Implications for Patient Care
Imogam or HyperRab is used with rabies vaccine such as Imovax or RabAvert for postexposure prophylaxis of rabies. 3,4
Do not administer rabies immune globulin at the same site as rabies vaccine. Do not mix rabies vaccine and rabies immune globulin in the same syringe.
Alternative Agents & Management
- The dosing, administration, and indications for HyperRAB S/D and Imogam are the same.3,4
- Administer rabies immune globulin at the time of the first rabies vaccine dose or within 7 days after the first rabies vaccine dose.3,4
- If possible, infiltrate 20 units/kg into the wound and surrounding area. Inject any remaining product intramuscularly in a different anatomical site from where the rabies vaccine is administered 3,4
- Sanofi Pasteur. Customer service (personal communication). August 14, September 6 and 27, October 23, November 2, November 28, 2007; January 2, February 21, March 25, April 3, May 5, June 18, July 28, September 8, October 22, December 8, 2008; January 27, March 31, June 16, September 1, October 19, December 7, 2009; February 23, April 30, June 23, August 24, and October 27, 2010; January 4, February 23, April 27, July 13, and October 5, 2011; January 3, April 17, August 21, September 28, November 16, December 19, 2012; January 16, March 6, and May 10, 2013.
- Talecris. Customer service (personal communication). August 14, September 6 and 27, October 23, November 2, November 28, 2007; January 2, February 21, March 25, April 3, May 5, June 18, July 28, September 8, October 22, December 8, 2008; January 27, March 31, June 16, September 1, October 19, December 7, 2009; February 23, April 30, June 23, August 24, September 10, October 27, December 29, 2010; February 23, April 27, July 13, October 5, November 4, 2011; January 3, April 17, August 22, September 28, November 16, 2012; January 16, March 6, and May 10, 2013.
HyperRab (product labeling). Research Triangle Park, NC: Talecris; January 2005.
- Imogam (product labeling). Swiftwater, PA: Sanofi Pasteur; December 2005.
Updated May 10, 2013 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created September 7, 2007 by Erin R. Fox, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins