[11 March 2014]
Products Affected - Description
Rifampin for injection, Bedford
600 mg lyophilized vial (NDC 55390-0123-01)
Rifampin for injection, Mylan Institutional (previously a Pfizer product)
600 mg lyophilized vial (NDC 00069-0112-01)
Reason for the Shortage
- Ben Venue has stopped production in its plant in Bedford, Ohio and will close in early 2014. Ben Venue supplies multiple sterile injectable products for Bedford Laboratories. Supplies of product that has already been manufactured will continue to be released until inventory is depleted. Bedford Laboratories has a small number of products manufactured elsewhere that are not affected by this closure.
- Pfizer had rifampin injection on back order due to a manufacturing issue resulting in potential for product discoloration and possible impurities or potency issues. This information is addressed in a Dear Healthcare Professional letter.
- Akorn discontinued rifampin in September 2013 due to shortage of raw material.
- Mylan Institutional acquired rifampin injection from Pfizer on December 7, 2013.
Rifadin injection, Sanofi-Aventis
600 mg lyophilized vial (NDC 00068-0597-01)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Bedford has rifampin 600 mg vials on long-term back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. Ben Venue manufactured rifampin for Bedford.
- Mylan Institutional has rifampin for injection on back order and the company estimates a release date of mid-May 2014.
March 11, 2014; January 31, 2014; December 12, 2013; October 15, 2013; October 9, 2013; September 12, 2013; July 23, 2013; June 26, 2013; June 19, 2013; May 28, 2013; May 20, 2013; April 10, 2013; March 22, 2013. Copyright 2014, University of Utah, Drug Information Service
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins