[29 April 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Potassium acetate injection, 2 meq/mL, American Regent
20 mL vial (NDC 00517-2053-25)
Potassium acetate injection, 4 meq/mL, American Regent
50 mL vial (NDC 00517-5024-25)
Potassium acetate injection, 2 meq/mL, Hospira
20 mL vial (NDC 00409-8183-01)
50 mL vial (NDC 00409-3294-51)
Reason for the Shortage
- Hospira states the shortage is due to manufacturing delays.
- Hospira and American Regent discontinued potassium acetate 2 meq/mL 100 mL bulk packages.
- American Regent had temporarily suspended manufacture of most drug products including potassium acetate in April, 2011.
- American Regent resumed manufacturing in Shirley, New York in early-May, 2011.
There are no presentations readily available at this time.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has 2 meq/mL 20 mL vials and 4 meq/mL 50 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Hospira has 2 meq/mL 20 mL and 50 mL vials on back order and the company estimates a release date of May 2013.
April 29, 2013; April 1, 2013; March 25, 2013; March 7, 2013; December 14, 2012, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins