[10 May 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Nitroglycerin injection, American Regent
5 mg/mL, 10 mL vials, packages of 25 (NDC 00517-4810-25)
Nitroglycerin in Dextrose 5%, Hospira
10 mg/100 mL, 250 mL glass bottles (NDC 00409-1483-02)
10 mg/100 mL, 500 mL glass bottles (NDC 00409-1483-03)
20 mg/100 mL, 250 mL glass bottles (NDC 00409-1482-02)
40 mg/100 mL, 250 mL glass bottles (NDC 00409-1484-02)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has recently upgraded their manufacturing plant. Product will become available in stages as production resumes.
- Hospira states the shortage is due to manufacturing delays.
- Hospira discontinued nitroglycerin in Dextrose 5%, 40 mg/100 mL, 500 mL glass bottles (NDC 00409-1484-03) in 2010.
Nitroglycerin in Dextrose 5%, Baxter
10 mg/100 mL, 250 mL glass bottles (NDC 00338-1047-02)
20 mg/100 mL, 250 mL glass bottles (NDC 00338-1049-02)
40 mg/100 mL, 250 mL glass bottles (NDC 00338-1051-02)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has 5 mg/mL 10 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Hospira has all nitroglycerin injection products are back order and the company estimates a release date of September 2013.
May 10, 2013; May 3, 2013; March 21, 2013; February 13, 2013; January 11, 2013; November 16, 2012; October 31, 2012; October 25, 2012; October 5, 2012; August 21, 21012; July 25, 2012; June 28, 2012. University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins