[04 April 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Tetracycline capsules, Teva
250 mg, 100 count (NDC 00172-2416-60)
250 mg, 100 count unit dose (NDC 00172-2416-10)
250 mg, 1000 count (NDC 00172-2416-80)
500 mg, 100 count (NDC 00172-2407-60)
500 mg, 100 count unit dose (00172-2407-10)
500 mg, 1000 count (NDC 00172-2407-80)
Tetracycline capsules, Watson
250 mg, 100 count (NDC 00591-2234-01)
250 mg, 1000 count (NDC 00591-2234-10)
500 mg, 100 count (NDC 00591-2235-01)
500 mg, 1000 count (NDC 00591-2235-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Due to the shortage, combination products that contain oral tetracycline may be affected as well.
- Teva states tetracycline capsules are unavailable due to a raw material shortage.
- Watson could not provide a reason for the shortage but tetracycline capsules have been unavailable since July, 2011.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Teva has all tetracycline capsules temporarily discontinued and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Watson has all tetracycline capsules temporarily unavailable and the company cannot estimate a release date.
April 4, 2013; February 1, 2013; January 9, 2013; October 2, 2012; June 28, 2012; March 20, 2012; February 27, 2012; February 1, 2012; January 18, 2012; December 6, 2011; October 4, 2011; September 15, 2011; September 14, 2011; August 11, 2011, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins