[14 May 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Dobutamine injection, Baxter
100 mg/250 mL premix (NDC 00338-1077-02)
250 mg/250 mL premix (NDC 00338-1073-02)
500 mg/250 mL premix (NDC 00338-1075-02)
Dobutamine injection, Bedford
12.5 mg/mL, 20 mL vial (NDC 55390-0560-90)
Dobutamine injection, Hospira
12.5 mg/mL, 20 mL latex-free vial (NDC 00409-2025-20)
12.5 mg/mL, 40 mL latex-free vial, NDC 00409-2025-54)
12.5 mg/mL, 20 mL vial, 1 count (NDC 00409-2344-01)
12.5 mg/mL, 20 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-2344-02)
12.5 mg/mL, 20 mL Novaplus vial (NDC 00409-2344-88)
250 mg/250 mL premix (NDC 00409-2346-32)
500 mg/250 mL premix (NDC 00409-2347-32)
1000 mg/250 mL premix (NDC 00409-3724-32)
Reason for the Shortage
- Baxter cannot provide a reason for the shortage.
- Ben Venue voluntarily suspended all manufacturing and distribution in mid-November, 2011 on a temporary basis. Product is becoming available in stages as production resumes. Availability of products is updated on the Bedford Laboratories website.
- Hospira has dobutamine on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
Dobutamine injection, Hospira
500 mg/250 mL Novaplus premix (NDC 00409-2347-33)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Baxter has dobutamine 100 mg/250 mL and 250 mg/250 mL premix bags on back order and the company estimates a release date in July 2013.
- Bedford has dobutamine 12.5 mg/mL 20 mL vials on long-term back order and will not resume production until capacity permits.
- Hospira has dobutamine 12.5 mg/mL 20 mL and 40 mL latex-free vials, dobutamine 12.5 mg/mL 20 mL vials in 1 and 10 count sizes, and dobutamine 12.5 mg/mL 20 mL Novaplus vials on back order with an estimated release date in the 3rd quarter of 2013. Dobutamine 250 mg/250 mL and 500 mg/250 mL premixes are on back order with an estimated release date of early-June 2013. Dobutamine 1000 mg/250 mL premix is on back order with an estimated release date in July 2013.
May 14, 2013; May 6, 2013; April 24, 2013; March 26, 2013; March 1, 2013; February 6, 2013; January 23, 2013; January 4, 2013; December 10, 2012; November 28, 2012; October 17, 2012; September 27, 2012; August 2, 2012; July 25, 2012; July 3, 2012; June 27, 2012; June 22, 2012, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins