[14 May 2013]
Products Affected - Description
Atropine injection, Hospira
0.05 mg/mL, 5 mL Ansyr syringe, package of 10 (NDC 00409-9630-05)
0.1 mg/mL, 10 mL Ansyr syringe, package of 10 (NDC 00409-1630-10)
0.1 mg/mL, 10 mL Lifeshield 21 gauge syringe, package of 10 (NDC 00409-4911-34)
0.1 mg/mL, 5 mL Lifeshield syringe, package of 10 (NDC 00409-4910-34)
Atropine injection, American Regent
0.4 mg/mL, 1 mL single-dose vial, package of 25 (NDC 00517-0401-25)
1 mg/mL, 1 mL single-dose vial, package of 25 (NDC 00517-1010-25)
Atropine injection, West-Ward
0.4 mg/mL, 20 mL multi-dose vial, package of 10 (NDC 10019-0250-20) - NDC discontinued
0.4 mg/mL, 20 mL multi-dose vial, package of 10 (NDC 00641-6006-10)
Atropine injection, Amphastar
0.1 mg/mL, 10 mL Luer-Jet syringes (NDC 00548-3339-01)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent had temporarily suspended manufacture of most drug products in April, 2011.
- American Regent resumed manufacturing in Shirley, New York in early-May, 2011.
- Hospira states the shortage is due to manufacturing delays.
- West-Ward acquired Baxter’s atropine injection products in May, 2011. NDC codes began changing for these products in early, 2012. West-Ward is not manufacturing the 0.4 mg/mL or 1 mg/mL 1 mL vials.
- Amphastar has atropine on shortage due to increased demand.
No products are fully available.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Hospira has atropine 0.05 mg/mL 5 mL Ansyr syringes and 0.1 mg/mL 10 mL Ansyr syringes on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. The 0.1 mg/mL 5 mL Lifeshield syringes are on back order and the company estimates a release date of late-May, 2013. The 10 mL Lifeshield syringes have an estimated release date of late-May 2013.
- American Regent has atropine 0.4 mg/mL ampules and 1 mg/mL 1 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
Amphastar has atropine 0.1 mg/mL 10 mL syringes on intermittent back order and the company is releasing product regularly.
- Westward has atropine 0.4 mg/mL 20 mL multi-dose vials on back order with an estimated release date of late-May 2013.
May 14, 2013; April 22, 2013; April 10, 2013; March 14, 2013: January 22, 2013; January 2, 2013; November 8, 2012; September 14, 2012; June 29, 2012; June 21, 2012; May 24, 2012; May 2, 2012; April 10, 2012; March 29, 2012; March 23, 2012; February 10, 2012; January 27, 2012; December 20, 2011; December 16, 2011; November 10, 2011; October 20, 2011; September 14, 2011; August 19, 2011; August 2, 2011, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2013, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins