[26 January 2011]
Products Affected - Description
Niferex Elixir, Ther-Rx
100 mg/5 mL, 236 mL bottle (NDC 64011-0160-05)
Reason for the Shortage
- KV Pharmaceuticals, which markets prescription medications through Ethex and Ther-Rx, voluntarily suspended shipment of all prescription tablet products in December 2008. In early 2009, FDA filed an injunction against KV Pharmaceuticals preventing the company from manufacturing any products until all issues are resolved. Ther-Rx products are on long-term back order and Ethex has been closed.
- Ther-Rx discontinued Niferex elixir in November, 2010.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Niferex elixir is no longer available.
- There are no other manufacturers of iron polysaccharide oral liquid.
- Iron Polysaccharide capsules are available from multiple manufacturers.
January 26, 2011; November 19, 2010; September 1, 2010; July 1, 2010; May 27, 2010; April 13, 2010; March 3, 2010, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2011, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins