[30 May 2012]
Products Affected - Description
All Prevacid 24 Hr OTC presentations are available.
Reason for the Shortage
- Novartis stated the shortage was due to manufacturing delays.1
- Prescription lansoprazole 15 mg and 30 mg capsules are not affected by the shortage.
Prevacid 24 Hr OTC capsules, Novartis
15 mg, 14 count (NDC 00067-6286-14)
15 mg, 28 count (NDC 00067-6286-28)
15 mg, 42 count (NDC 00067-6286-42)
Estimated Resupply Dates
Novartis has all Prevacid 24 Hr OTC presentations available.1
Implications for Patient Care
- Prevacid 24 Hr OTC is a proton pump inhibitor labeled for the over-the-counter (OTC) treatment of frequent heartburn, occurring 2 days or more per week, in adult patients. It is labeled for a 14-day treatment course and the treatment course can be repeated once every 4 months.2
- Omeprazole is another proton pump inhibitor that is available over-the-counter and labeled for the treatment of frequent heartburn symptoms (occurs 2 or more days per week) in adult patients. Omeprazole OTC is also labeled for a 14-day treatment course and treatment course can be repeated once every 4 months.3,4
Alternative Agents & Management
- Novartis (personal communications). April 23, May 4 and 30, 2012.
- Novartis Consumer Health (2011). Prevacid 24 hr OTC (lansoprazole) capsules [patient product information]. Parsippany, NJ, Novartis Consumer Health.
- Astra Zeneca. Prilosec OTC (omeprazole) tablets [patient product information]. Wilmington, DE, Astra Zeneca.
- Merck. Zegerid OTC (omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate) capsules [patient product information]. Whitehouse Station, NJ, Merck.
- Wickersham RM, Novak KK, managing eds., eds. Drug Facts and Comparisons (eFacts). St. Louis, MO: Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc.; 2011.
- Lexi-Drugs Online. Hudson, OH: Lexi-Comp, Inc.; 2011.
Updated May 30, 2012 by Ginny Jones, RPh, Drug Information Specialist. Created April 27, 2012 by Jane Chandramouli, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Copyright 2012, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins