The Clinical Skills Competition (CSC) is an interactive, team-based analysis of clinical scenarios for hospital/health-system pharmacists. It provides pharmacy students the opportunity to enhance their skills in collaborative practice with physicians in providing direct patient care. Local competitions are held each fall on college campuses around the nation. The national competition takes place at the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting in December.
2012 Clinical Skills Competition Winners
Pictured: Jennifer Lee and Elizabeth Jackson of UC San Diego with Daniel Cobaugh and Kathryn Schultz
2012 Prize Package
Winning Team Members from Each School
The winning team members from each participating college of pharmacy will receive a complimentary Midyear Meeting registration (a $355 value) to compete at the national level competition held in Las Vegas, December 1-2, 2012.
Top Ten Finalist Teams in the National Competition
Top ten finalist team members will each receive the following:
- Access to ASHP’s PharmPrep Online, a case-based board preparatory tool.
- iPod Touch device preloaded with a one-year subscription to Lexi-Complete™ with AHFS Essentials™.
1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams will also receive a drug information or pharmacy publication provided by ASHP.
The winning team members each receive a $500 cash award, individual first place trophies and a large first place trophy to take back to their school.
Clinical Skills Competition Coordinator Handbook
The coordinator and student handbooks contain a timeline, important guidelines, and instructions for conducting your preliminary-round (school-level) competition. They also contain useful information for participants.
New & Notable for 2012
We are continually making improvements to the Clinical Skills Competition and highlighted below are a few notable items this year.
- See what some of the 2011 top ten finalist teams said about the competition:
- We have taken your comments and revised the scoring process to provide you with better feedback!
- Promotional posters mailed to schools in August with the fall student membership mailing.
- Student handbook explains how the competition works and gives some advice for competing.
- One iPod Touch device preloaded with Lexi-Complete™ with AHFS Essentials™ will be provided to each team for use during the semi-final round (national) competition!
- To help competitors prepare, Lexicomp, Inc. is providing a free trial version of Lexi-Complete™ with AHFS Essentials™. Students may access the trial version via their personal handheld devices and use it for their preliminary round (school-level) competitions. See Lexicomp’s flyer [PDF] for more details about this offer.
- Members of the Top 10 finalist teams will each walk away with an iPod Touch preloaded with a one-year subscription to Lexi-Complete™ with AHFS Essentials™.
- First, second and third place teams will be announced at the awards ceremony on Sunday evening. Members of all three teams will each receive a drug information or pharmacy publication provided by ASHP.
For your convenience, ASHP has designed materials you can use to promote the Clinical Skills Competition on your campus.
- 2012 CSC Flyer [PDF]
Information Flyer: E-mail this PDF file to your fellow students and post it on your SSHP website. This flyer is a great way to spread the word about your upcoming competition!
- 2012 CSC Poster [PDF]
11x17 color posters go to schools in ASHP's fall student membership mailings shipped in August. Write in the specifics of your competition and post them on campus. Use this file to print 8½ x 11copies onsite.
Feel free to use these past ASHP Clinical Skills Competition local and national cases to prepare for the competition.
ASHP Clinical Skills Competition Local Case and Answer Key
ASHP Clinical Skills Competition National Case and Answer Key