Helping Improve Patient Safety and Continuity of Care. Pharmacists can engage their patients in conversations about the importance of using personalized medication lists. By doing so, you’ll help increase patient safety and smooth transitions in care.
ASHP and the ASHP Foundation have partnered to produce My Medicine List™, a comprehensive tool to help stimulate discussions between patients and health care professionals. The list is the result of a multidisciplinary summit sponsored by the two groups in June where participants agreed upon a “best standard” for patient medication lists and is in line with efforts sponsored by The Joint Commission and the World Health Organization.
How to Help Your Patients Use My Medicine List™
- Promote the lists by working with your institution’s marketing or public relations divisions. Let them know they can place your organization’s logo on a print-ready version of My Medicine List™
- Distribute the lists to patients through your community health publications or provide them to patients at discharge
- Provide a link to the ASHP Foundation’s information page on your state affiliate’s webpage
- Create pharmacy student outreach programs that educate patients on the use of lists
- Share the lists with local healthcare provider offices and show them how they can customize the lists with their practice names and logos
- Present the lists at stakeholder meetings in your institution.
Where Can I Find More Information About Medication Lists?
Share Your Story With Us!
If you have already launched a program promoting use of the lists, or you’re in the process of creating one, let us know. We’ll share your story with others.