Offered by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the American Pharmacists Association
Planned by the ASHP Sections of Clinical Specialists and Scientists and Ambulatory Care Practitioners.
Prepare to take the next step in advancing your practice by earning your Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Certification. The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the American Pharmacists Association have teamed up to help ambulatory care pharmacists prepare for the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Specialty Certification Examination.
This two-day course provides a robust preparatory curriculum for the ambulatory care pharmacy professional preparing for the examination, which will be offered for the first time in October 2011. Designed based on the domains, tasks, and knowledge statements developed by BPS for the examination, the course also will provide an in-depth review of the ambulatory care patient care issues for practitioners and help them prepare for the exam by:
- Reviewing pertinent clinical topics and practice skills
- Providing exam practice questions
- Listing valuable resources for further self-study
Pharmacists can confidently prepare for the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) newest certification, Ambulatory Care Pharmacy, with this cutting-edge educational programming! This case-based and interactive course is an excellent review for pharmacists working in, or wishing to work in, ambulatory care and will teach them how to apply their knowledge and skills in preparation for the exam using real-life scenarios. Upon completion of the review course pharmacists will have strengthened and broadened their skill set, and will walk away better prepared to meet the growing demand for this specialized practice.
This live educational review course will be offered immediately before the ASHP Summer Meeting, on June 11-12 2011 at the Colorado Convention Center, Denver Colorado.
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Conduct a thorough patient/caregiver interview to obtain pertinent patient history, including a complete medication history.
- Describe the principles and process of medication reconciliation.
- Apply the principles of evidence-based medicine to initiate, modify, or discontinue drug therapy, both prescription and over-the-counter, based on the identification of drug-related problems and assessment of patient response.
- Develop and implement a patient-specific plan to address drug-related problems that includes treatment goals and appropriate monitoring parameters.
- Modify patient-specific treatment plans based on follow-up assessment and interpretation of laboratory and diagnostic test results.
- Summarize clinical practice guidelines and assess the benefits and risks of treatment options for the chronic disease states most commonly associated with pharmacist-based disease state management clinics (e.g., diabetes, hypertension, anticoagulation).
- Discuss the implementation of and medications utilized in common wellness and preventative health programs, such as smoking cessation and immunization clinics.
- Outline the provisions and regulations regarding collaborative drug therapy management via protocol or practice agreement.
View the full two day Workshop Agenda [PDF]
This program is intended for pharmacists who seek an in-depth, comprehensive review for continuing professional development or in preparation for taking the ambulatory care pharmacy certification exam.
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and the American Pharmacists Association are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as providers of continuing education credit at the Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Review Course.
This application-based ACPE Activity# 204-999-10-484-L01P offers 16.0 Contact Hours (1.6 CEUs). Participants must complete the online CE request and print their official CE statement following the course. To earn credit, you must enter online the CE Session Code announced for the course.
Registration and Housing
Registration and Housing for the Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Certification Review Course is now open!
||ASHP or APhA Member
||Non-member of ASHP or APhA
|Advance (on or before May 4)
|Regular and On-site
SPECIAL OFFER! We would like to invite Ambulatory Care Review Course participants to stay a few extra days and join us for the ASHP 2011 Summer Meeting, being held in conjunction June 12-15 at the Denver Convention Center. With your Review Course registration, you will be eligible to receive $100 off your Summer Meeting full registration!
Upon registration for the Review Course, an email confirmation will be sent to you with a unique discount code and instructions that you can use when you register online for the Summer Meeting at www.ashp.org/sm11.
This offer is extended only for registrants of the Ambulatory Care Certification Review Course, and only applies towards full meeting registration for the 2011 Summer Meeting.
If you have already registered for the 2011 Summer Meeting, please call customer service at 866-279-0681 to receive your $100 registration refund.
Check back for more information.