Prior to the 1920s, hospital pharmacy was not a strong, well-organized component of the profession. By 1936, a subsection of hospital pharmacists was formed in the American Pharmaceutical Association (APHA), and for the first time, hospital pharmacists had a voice in a national organization. In 1942, hospital pharmacists established the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists, affiliated with APhA. In 1947, ASHP and APhA jointly established a hospital pharmacy division with permanent staffing. Since then, ASHP has progressed from 153 charter members to 40,000 today.
This is a small sample of photographs from the Donald E. Francke Memorial Library (DEFML) Photo Collection. For additional questions on specific photographs or interest in using photographs in personal works please contact the DEFML Archives.
Please use our archive request form to contact the ASHP Archivist with questions, requests, and donations.
What We Do
For the Press
Jobs at ASHP
AHFS Drug Information
Customer Service: 1-866-279-0681
8:00am - 6:00pm ET, Mon-Fri
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. All rights reserved. 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814