Products Affected - Description
Ammonium molybdate injection, American Regent
Molybdenum 25 mcg/mL, 10 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-6610-25)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has ammonium molybdate injection on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
- American Regent is the sole supplier of ammonium molybdate injection.
There are no presentations available.
Estimated Resupply Dates
American Regent has ammonium molybdate injection on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
Alternative Agents & Management
The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) does not have recommendations for managing the ammonium molybdate shortage specifically, however, they do have detailed recommendations
for managing other trace element shortages online.
Key recommendations include:
- Reserve supplies for neonatal or pediatric patients or other vulnerable groups such as patients with short bowel or malabsorption syndromes.
- Avoid use of pediatric trace elements for adult patients.
- Adult trace element products are not recommended for pediatric patients.
- Consider oral or enteral multivitamin or multimineral products for supplementation if possible.
- Avoid using trace elements additives in IV fluids.
- Increase vigilance of signs and symptoms of trace element deficiencies.
- Purchase only the supply needed, do not stockpile.
August 17, May 19, February 23, 2015; November 11, August 25, May 29, February 26, 2014; December 4, September 16, July 16, April 23, February 21, 2013, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2015, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins