Products Affected - Description
Benztropine intravenous injection, Akorn
1 mg/mL, 2 mL ampules, 5 count (NDC 17478-0012-02)
Benztropine intravenous injection, Fresenius Kabi
1 mg/mL, 2 mL vials, 5 count (NDC 63323-0970-02)
Benztropine Mesylate injection, West-Ward
1 mg/mL, 2 mL ampule, 5 count (NDC 00143-9729-05)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent discontinued benztropine injection in May 2015.
- Fresenius Kabi recalled benztropine injection due to potential for glass particles in the vials. The product is on long-term back order.
- Nexus divested benztropine injection to Fresenius Kabi in 2012.
Cogentin injection, Akorn
1 mg/mL, 2 mL ampule, 5 count (NDC 76478-0611-02)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Akorn has benztropine injection 1 mg/mL 2 mL ampules on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Fresenius Kabi has benztropine injection on long-term back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- West-Ward has benztropine 1 mg/mL 2 mL ampules on back order and the company estimates a release date of early-June 2016.
May 20, March 21, January 25 and 14, 2016; December 11, November 4, October 19 and 12, August 20 and 19, July 23, June 11 and 9, April 30, March 25, February 11, January 26 and 7, 2015; September 18, July 31, June 11, May 8, March 4, January 29, 2014; December 16 and 4, October 29, September 26, August 28, July 18, 2013, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2016, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins