Products Affected - Description
Dibucaine ointment, Fougera
1%, 30 gram tube, 1 count (NDC 00168-0046-31)
Dibucaine ointment, Perrigo
1%, 28 gram tube, 1 count (NDC 45802-0050-03)
Reason for the Shortage
- Perrigo and Fougera cannot provide a reason for the shortage.
- Geritrex introduced dibucaine 1% ointment in March 2014.
- Novartis divested the rights for all Nupercainal ointment products to Ducere Pharma in 2013.
- These products are available Over-The-Counter.
Nupercainal ointment, Ducere Pharma
1%, 57 gram tube, 1 count (NDC 55741-0402-02)
Dibucaine ointment, Geritrex
1%, 28 gram tube, 1 count (NDC 54162-0011-01)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Perrigo has temporarily discontinued dibucaine ointment and the company cannot estimate a resupply date.
- Fougera has dibucaine ointment on long-term back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
June 16, March 2, January 4, 2016; December 16, September 9, June 18, April 6, January 23, 2015; November 17, July 21, June 25, May 7, April 14, March 17, February 27, January 29, 2014, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2016, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Vizient to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Vizient, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Vizient, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Vizient, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins