Products Affected - Description
Diuril oral suspension, Valeant
250 mg / 5 mL 237 mL bottle (NDC 65649-0311-12)
Reason for the Shortage
- Valeant cannot provide a reason for the shortage.1
- Valeant recently acquired Diuril oral suspension from Salix.1
There are no presentations available.
Estimated Resupply Dates
Valeant cannot estimate a release date.1
Implications for Patient Care
Chlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic frequently used in pediatric patients to manage hypertension or for diuresis.2
Extemporaneously compounded chlorothiazide suspension may be a potential alternative during this shortage. Ensure appropriate compounding technique.
Alternative Agents & Management
Two publications are available outlining methods for compounding chlorothiazide 50 mg/mL oral suspension.3,4
- Valeant. Customer Service (personal communications). May 8, 2015.
- McEvoy GK, Snow EK, Kester L, Litvak K, Miller J, Welsh OH, eds. AHFS DI (Lexi-Comp Online). Bethesda, MD: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists; 2015.
- Allen et al. Chlorothiazide 50 mg/mL oral suspension. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding. 2014;18(4):326.
- Chlorothiazide. In: Nahata MC, Pai VB, eds. Pediatric Drug Formulations, 6th edition. Cincinnati, OH: Harvey Whitney Books Company; 2011.
May 8, 2015 by Erin R. Fox, PharmD, Director, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2015, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins