Products Affected - Description
Fluorescein sodium 10% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
100 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 59390-0199-05)
Fluorescein sodium 25% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
250 mg/mL 2 mL vial (NDC 59390-0200-02)
Fluorescein Lite 10% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
100 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 59390-0188-05)
Fluorescein Lite 25% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
250 mg/mL 2 mL vial (NDC 59390-0187-02)
Fluorescite 10% injection, Alcon
100 mg/mL 5 mL (NDC 00065-0092-65)
AK-Fluor 10% injection, Akorn
100 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 17478-0253-10) - to be discontinued December 31, 2014
AK-Fluor 25% injection, Akorn
250 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 17478-0250-20)
Reason for the Shortage
- Altaire Pharmaceuticals temporarily discontinued fluorescein and fluorescein lite products. Altaire Pharmaceuticals could not provide a reason for the temporary discontinuation.
- Alcon expects to discontinue Fluorescite 10% on December 31, 2014. The company could not provide a reason for the discontinuation.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Akorn has AK-Fluor 10% and 25% vials on allocation.
- Altaire Pharmaceuticals temporarily discontinued fluorescein and fluorescein lite vials, and the company could not estimate when product would be available.
- Alcon has a limited supply of Fluorescite 10% vials but plans to discontinue product on December 31, 2014.
December 17, 2014; November 13, 2014; October 16, 2014; September 29, 2014; August 20, 2014; July 1, 2014; May 21, 2014; May 7, 2014, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins