Products Affected - Description
Fluorescein sodium 10% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
100 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 59390-0199-05)
Fluorescein sodium 25% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
250 mg/mL 2 mL vial (NDC 59390-0200-02)
Fluorescein Lite 10% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
100 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 59390-0188-05)
Fluorescein Lite 25% injection, Altaire Pharmaceuticals
250 mg/mL 2 mL vial (NDC 59390-0187-02)
AK-Fluor 10% injection, Akorn
100 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 17478-0253-10)
AK-Fluor 25% injection, Akorn
250 mg/mL 5 mL vial (NDC 17478-0250-20)
Fluorescite 10% injection, Alcon
100 mg/mL 5 mL (NDC 00065-0092-65)
Reason for the Shortage
- Altaire Pharmaceuticals temporarily discontinued fluorescein and fluorescein lite products. Altaire Pharmaceuticals could not provide a reason for the temporary discontinuation.
- Akorn and Alcon could not provide a reason for the shortage.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Altaire Pharmaceuticals temporarily discontinued fluorescein and fluorescein lite vials, and the company could not estimate when product would be available.
- Akorn has AK-Fluor 10% and 25% available for direct order.
- Alcon has Fluorescite 10% vials on backorder, and the company cannot estimate a release date.
July 1, 2014; May 21, 2014; May 7, 2014, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins