Products Affected - Description
Diltiazem injection, Akorn
5 mg/mL 5 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 17478-0937-05)
5 mg/mL 10 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 17478-0937-10)
5 mg/mL, 25 mL vials, single count NDC 17478-0937-25)
5 mg/mL, 25 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 17478-0937-26)
Diltiazem injection, Hospira
5 mg/mL, 5 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-1171-01)
5 mg/mL, 10 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-1171-02)
Diltiazem lyophilized powder for solution for injection, Hospira
100 mg, ADD-Vantage vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-4350-03)
Diltiazem injection, West-Ward
5 mg/mL, 5 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 00641-6013-10)
5 mg/mL, 10 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 00641-6014-10)
5 mg/mL, 25 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 00641-6015-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Ben Venue stopped production in its plant in Bedford, Ohio and closed in July 2014.
- Hospira states the reasons for the shortage are manufacturing delays and increases in demand.
- West-Ward had diltiazem injection on shortage due to manufacturing delays caused by increased demand due to current market conditions.
- Akorn states the reason for the shortage is increased demand due to market conditions.
- Teva discontinued all diltiazem presentations in March, 2011.
- Biovail discontinued Cardizem Lyo-Ject in 2007 due to business reasons.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Akorn has diltiazem 5 mg/mL 10 mL vials, 25 mL vials in 1 count, and 25 mL vials in 10 count on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. The 5 mL vials are available in limited supply. Check with wholesalers for availability.
- Hospira has diltiazem 5 mg/mL 10 mL vials and 100 mg ADD-Vantage vials on allocation. Diltiazem 5 mg/mL 5 mL vials are on intermittent back order and the company is releasing product as it becomes available.
- West-Ward has all diltiazem presentations on allocation with weekly releases.
September 17 and 1, July 23, June 25, 2015, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2015, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins