Products Affected - Description
Diltiazem intravenous injection, Akorn
5 mg/mL 5 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 17478-0937-05)
5 mg/mL 10 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 17478-0937-10)
5 mg/mL, 25 mL vials, single count NDC 17478-0937-25)
5 mg/mL, 25 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 17478-0937-26)
Diltiazem intravenous injection, Hospira
5 mg/mL, 10 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-1171-02)
5 mg/mL, 5 mL vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-1171-01)
Diltiazem intravenous lyophilized powder for solution for injection, Hospira
100 mg, ADD-Vantage vial, 10 count (NDC 00409-4350-03)
Diltiazem intravenous injection, West-Ward
5 mg/mL, 5 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 00641-6013-10)
5 mg/mL, 10 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 00641-6014-10)
5 mg/mL, 25 mL vials, 10 count (NDC 00641-6015-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Ben Venue stopped production in its plant in Bedford, Ohio and closed in July 2014.
- Hospira states the reasons for the shortage are manufacturing delays and increases in demand.
- West-Ward had diltiazem injection on shortage due to manufacturing delays caused by increased demand due to current market conditions.
- Akorn states the reason for the shortage is increased demand due to market conditions.
- Teva discontinued all diltiazem presentations in March, 2011.
- Biovail discontinued Cardizem Lyo-Ject in 2007 due to business reasons.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Akorn has diltiazem 5 mg/mL 5 mL vials, 10 mL vials, 25 mL vials in 1 count, and 25 mL vials in 10 count on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date. Check with wholesalers for availability.
- Hospira has diltiazem 5mg/mL 10 mL vials on back order and the company estimates a release date of late-4th quarter 2015. Diltiazem 5 mg/mL 5 mL vials and 100 mg ADD-Vantage vials are available in limited supply and for direct order only.
- West-Ward has diltiazem 5 mg/mL 5 mL, 10 mL, and 25 mL vials on allocation.
June 1 and 25, May 6 and 21, March 9, 13, and 31, January 26, 2015; November 24, October 16, September 5, August 20, July 31, June 30, May 28, April 25, March 28, February 21, 2014; November 11, October 14, September 5, August 12, July 1, June 21, March 22, February 26, January 3, 2013; November 28, October 22, September 26, August 17, July 13, June 28, May 20, April 20, March 14,; February 16, January 18, 2012; December 7, November 28, October 31, September 30, August 31, July 22, June 29, May 11, April 18, March 29, February 17, January 6, 2011; December 3, November 5, October 11, September 16, August 27, July 6, June 22, May 28, 2010, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2015, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins