Products Affected - Description
Calcium gluconate, American Regent
100 mg/mL, 50 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 00517-3950-25)
100 mg/mL, 100 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 00517-3900-25)
Calcium gluconate, Fresenius Kabi
100 mg/mL, 10 mL plastic vials, 25 count (NDC 63323-0311-19)
100 mg/mL, 50 mL plastic vials, 25 count (NDC 63323-0311-59)
100 mg/mL, 100 mL plastic vials, 40 count (NDC 63323-0311-66)
100 mg/mL, 10 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 63323-0311-10) - discontinued
100 mg/mL, 50 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 63323-0311-50) - discontinued
100 mg/mL, 100 mL vials, 40 count (NDC 63323-0311-61) - discontinued
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has calcium gluconate on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
- Fresenius Kabi has replaced calcium gluconate glass vials with plastic vials.
- American Regent has issued a statement that all lots of calcium gluconate may contain glass particles and filters must be used. Do not use if there are visible glass particles and filter all other product.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has calcium gluconate 100 mg/mL 50 mL and 100 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Fresenius Kabi has discontinued calcium gluconate in glass vials. Calcium gluconate in plastic vials are on intermittent back order as wholesalers transition stock. Check wholesalers for inventory.
May 15, April 16, March 13, February 3, January 16, 2015; December 12, November 14, October 13, September 3, 10, 18, August 1, July 21, June 4, May 1 and 21, March 3 and 28, February 10, January 21, 2014; December 13, November 13, October 28, September 3 and 12, August 1 and 13, July 11, June 18, May 23, April 22, April 1 and 10, March 25, February 21, January 2, 2013; December 10, November 19, 2012, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2015, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins