Products Affected - Description
Calcium gluconate intravenous injection, American Regent
100 mg/mL, 50 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 00517-3950-25)
100 mg/mL, 100 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-3900-25)
Calcium gluconate intravenous injection, Fresenius Kabi
100 mg/mL, 10 mL plastic vial, 25 count (NDC 63323-0311-19)
100 mg/mL, 50 mL plastic vial, 25 count (NDC 63323-0311-59)
100 mg/mL, 100 mL plastic vial, 40 count (NDC 63323-0311-66)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has calcium gluconate on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
- Fresenius Kabi has calcium gluconate available with alternating short-dating due to manufacturing process of the vials.
- American Regent has issued a statement that all lots of calcium gluconate may contain glass particles and filters must be used. Do not use if there are visible glass particles and filter all other product.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has calcium gluconate 100 mg/mL 50 mL and 100 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Fresenius Kabi has calcium gluconate 100 mg/mL 10 mL and 50 mL vials available with expiration dates of <9 months for the 10 mL vials and <5 months for the 50 mL vials. The 100 mL vials are on back order and the company estimates a release date of mid-February 2017.
January 10, 2017; December 20, November 22, October 31, September 26, August 13 and 5, July 19, June 21 and 9, May 12, April 6, February 24, January 25 and 6, 2016; December 11 and 3, November 5, September 25, August 19, June 15, April 16, March 13, February 3, January 16, 2015; December 12, November 14, October 13, September 18, 10 and 3, August 1, July 21, June 4, May 21 and 1, March 28 and 3, February 10, January 21, 2014; December 13, October 28, September 12 and 3, August 13 and 1, July 11, June 18, May 23, April 22, 10 and 1, March 25, February 21, January 2, 2013; December 10, November 19, 2012, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2017, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Vizient to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Vizient, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Vizient, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Vizient, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins