Products Affected - Description
Metronidazole injection, Baxter
500 mg/100 mL, 24 count (NDC 00338-1055-48)
Metronidazole injection, B Braun
500 mg/100 mL, 24 count (NDC 00264-5535-32)
Metronidazole Injection, Claris
500 mg/100 mL, 24 count (NDC 36000-0001-24)
Metronidazole injection, Hospira
500 mg/100 mL, 24 count (NDC 00409-7811-24)
500 mg/100 mL, 80 count (quad pack) (NDC 00409-7811-37)
Reason for the Shortage
- Hospira has metronidazole injection on back order due to manufacturing delays.
- Baxter, BBraun, and Claris are allocating metronidazole injection due to increased demand for the product.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Baxter has metronidazole 500 mg/100 mL premix on allocation.
- BBraun has metronidazole 500 mg/100 mL premix on allocation.
- Claris has metronidazole 500 mg/100 mL premix on allocation.
- Hospira has metronidazole 500 mg/100 mL premix in 24 count and 80 count on back order and the company estimates a release date of August 2014 for the 24 count and October 2014 for the 80 count.
Hospira’s metronidazole quad pack bags (NDC 00409-7811-37) are packaged in an overwrap. Use these metronidazole quad pack bags within 7 days after the overwrap is removed and continue to protect the bags from light.
August 1, 2014; June 24, 2014; June 5, 2014; June 3, 2014; May 12, 2014; May 9, 2014; May 1, 2014;University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins