Products Affected - Description
Potassium acetate injection, American Regent
2 mEq/mL, 20 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-2053-25)
4 mEq/mL, 50 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-5024-25)
Potassium acetate injection, Hospira
2 mEq/mL, 20 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00409-8183-01)
2 mEq/mL, 50 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00409-3924-51)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has potassium acetate on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
- Hospira has potassium acetate on shortage due to increased demand.
- Exela received FDA approval for potassium acetate injection in late-December 2015. Exela has potassium acetate injection available.
Potassium acetate injection, Exela Pharma Sciences
2 mEq/mL, 20 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 51754-2001-04)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has potassium acetate 2 mEq/mL 20 mL vials and 4 mEq/mL 50 mL vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Hospira has potassium acetate 2 mEq/mL 20 mL vials and 50 mL vials available in limited supply and the company is regularly releasing product.
April 27, March 21, February 17 and 4, January 28, 2016; December 30, 2015, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2016, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins