Products Affected - Description
Sodium acetate injection, American Regent
2 mEq/mL, 20 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-2096-25)
4 mEq/mL, 50 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-5023-25)
Sodium acetate injection, Fresenius Kabi
4 mEq/mL, 100 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 63323-0032-61)
Sodium acetate injection, Hospira
2 mEq/mL, 20 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00409-7299-73)
2 mEq/mL, 50 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00409-3299-05)
2 mEq/mL, 100 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00409-3299-06)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has sodium acetate injection on back order due to manufacturing delays.
- Fresenius Kabi only has short-dated product available.
- Hospira has sodium acetate injection on back order due to increased demand.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has sodium acetate 2 mEq/mL 20 mL vials and 4 mEq/mL 50 mL vials on long-term back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Fresenius Kabi has sodium acetate 4 mEq/mL 100 mL vials available with an expiration date of < 4 months. The company estimates a release date of 2nd quarter 2016 for more product.
- Hospira has sodium acetate 2 mEq/mL 20 mL vials and 100 mL vials available in limited supply and the company is regularly releasing product. The sodium acetate 2 mEq/mL 50 mL vials are on back order and the company estimates a release date of late-March 2016.
February 8 and 4, 2016; December 30, 2015, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2016, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins