Products Affected - Description
Claforan intravenous injection, Baxter
1 gram/50 mL frozen premixed bag, 24 count (NDC 00039-0038-05)
2 gram/50 mL frozen premixed bag, 24 count (NDC 00039-0039-05)
Cefotaxime powder for solution for injection, West-Ward
1 gram vial, 25 count (NDC 00143-9931-25)
2 gram vial, 25 count (NDC 00143-9933-25)
10 gram vial, single count (NDC 00143-9935-91)
500 mg vial, 10 count (NDC 00143-9930-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Hospira has discontinued Claforan. Sanofi-Aventis manufactured Claforan for Hospira and is no longer making the product.
- Baxter has Claforan premixed bags on allocation. The company will be discontinuing Claforan 4th quarter 2015.
- West-Ward has cefotaxime on shortage due to increased demand.
There is insufficient supply for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- West-Ward has all cefotaxime presentations on back order and the company estimates a release date in mid-October to mid-November 2015.
- Baxter has Claforan 1 gram and 2 gram premixed bags available on allocation. The company will be discontinuing Claforan 4th quarter 2015.
September 23, August 24 and 4, June 10, April 30 and 2, January 23, 2015; December 5, October 7, September 3, June 24, April 15, February 25, January 14, 2014; December 10, October 30, August 29 and 1, July 31, 2013, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2015, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins