Products Affected - Description
Chloroprocaine injection, West-Ward (formerly Bedford products)
20 mg/mL preservative-free, 20 mL vials (NDC 55390-0403-20)
30 mg/mL preservative-free, 20 mL vials (NDC 55390-0404-20)
Nesacaine-MPF injection, Fresenius Kabi
20 mg/mL preservative-free, 20 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 63323-0477-27)
30 mg/mL preservative-free, 20 mL vials, 25 count (NDC 63323-0478-27)
Reason for the Shortage
- West-Ward Pharmaceuticals’ parent company, Hikma Pharmaceuticals, acquired several products from Bedford Laboratories in July 2014 including chloroprocaine injection. West-Ward is not actively marketing chloroprocaine injection.
- Hospira discontinued chloroprocaine injection in January, 2012 due to inability to obtain raw materials. All supply was depleted in January.
- Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP) has transitioned from 1 count presentations to 25 count sizes. All 1 count presentations were depleted in early 2012.
- Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP) had Nesacaine on shortage from depletion of raw materials due increased demand for the product.
Nesacaine injection, Fresenius Kabi
10 mg/mL with preservative, 30 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 63323-0475-37)
20 mg/mL with preservative, 30 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 63323-0476-37)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- West-Ward is not actively marketing chloroprocaine injection.
- Fresenius Kabi has Nesacaine-MPF 20 mg/mL 20 mL preservative-free vials available but the product is short-dated with 2 month dating or less. Nesacaine-MPF 30 mg/mL 20 mL vials are on back order and the company estimates a release date of early-to-mid September 2014.
August 28, 2014; July 25, 2014; July 16, 2014; May 29, 2014; April 4, 2014; February 11, 2014; December 11, 2013; October 9, 2013; August 8, 2013; May 30, 2013; March 5, 2013; December 19, 2012; November 6, 2012; November 2, 2012; September 28, 2012; August 28, 2012; August 9, 2012; July 5, 2012; June 15, 2012; May 30, 2012; May 17, 2012; April 24, 2012; April 11, 2012; March 21, 2012; March 7, 2012; February 22, 2012; February 1, 2012; December 28, 2011; December 14, 2011; November 21, 2011; November 11, 2011; October 17, 2011, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins