Products Affected - Description
Azithromycin injection, Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP)
500 mg vial, package of 10 (NDC 63323-0398-10)
Azithromycin injection, Hospira
500 mg ADD-vantage vial, package of 10 (NDC 00409-0144-11)
Azithromycin injection, Sagent
500 mg vial, package of 10 (NDC 25021-0112-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Fresenius Kabi could not provide a reason for the shortage.
- Hospira has azithromycin injection on shortage due to increased demand.
- Sagent has azithromycin injection on shortage due to increased demand.
- Pfizer discontinued Zithromax 500 mg vial with Vial-Mate Adaptor in January 2013.
Azithromycin injection, Apotex
500 mg vial, package of 10 (NDC 60505-6076-04)
Zithromax injection, Pfizer
500 mg vial, package of 10 (NDC 00069-3150-83)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP) has azithromycin injection on intermittent back order and is releasing product as it becomes available. Check with wholesalers for availability.
- Hospira has azithromycin injection on back order and the company estimates a release date in late-September 2014.
- Sagent has azithromycin injection on back order and the company estimates a release date of October 2014.
September 15, 2014; September 3, 2014; August 4, 2014; July 18, 2014; July 9, 2014; June 23, 2014; June 11, 2014; May 21, 2014; May 12, 2014; May 7, 2014; April 24, 2014; April 14, 2014; April 8, 2014; March 24, 2014; March 6, 2014; February 13, 2014; January 15, 2014; January 2, 2014; December 27, 2013; December 19, 2013; October 24, 2013; September 23, 2013; August 13, 2013; July 29, 2013; July 2, 2013; June 24, 2013; June 4, 2013; May 24, 2013; May 3, 2013; April 17, 2013; April 3, 2013; March 29, 2013; March 11, 2013; February 6, 2013; January 29, 2013; January 9, 2013; January 2, 2013; University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins