Products Affected - Description
Calcitriol 1 mcg/mL Injection, Akorn
1 mL ampule, 5 count (NDC 17478-0931-01)
Calcitriol 1 mcg/mL Injection, American Regent
1 mL ampule, 25 count (NDC 00517-0132-25)
Reason for the Shortage
- Akorn has calcitriol injection on shortage due to increased demand for the product.
- American Regent has calcitriol on back order due to manufacturing delays.
- Abbott discontinued Calcijex in April 2012.
- West-Ward discontinued their calcitriol injection in May, 2011.
- Calcitriol capsule and oral solution presentations are available from multiple manufacturers.
- Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP) discontinued calcitriol injection in January 2014.
No presentations are available.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Akorn has calcitriol 1 mcg/mL 1 mL ampules available in limited supply at wholesalers.
- American Regent has calcitriol 1 mcg/mL 1 mL ampules on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
August 6, 2014; July 1, 2014; June 6, 2014; May 21, 2014; May 9, 2014; April 24, 2014; April 7, 2014; March 3, 2014; February 10, 2014, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins