Products Affected - Description
Chromic chloride injection, American Regent
4 mcg/mL 10 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00517-6310-25)
Chromium (chromic chloride) injection, Hospira
4 mcg/mL 10 mL vial, 25 count (NDC 00409-4093-01)
Reason for the Shortage
- Hospira has chromium (chromic chloride) injection on shortage due to manufacturing delays.
- American Regent had temporarily suspended distribution of most drug products including chromium (chromic chloride) injection in April, 2011.
- American Regent resumed manufacturing in Shirley, New York in early-May, 2011.
There are insufficient supplies for usual ordering.
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has chromium (chromic chloride) injection on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Hospira has chromium (chromic chloride) injection on intermittent back order and the company is releasing product as it becomes available.
Alternative Agents & Management
The American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.) has detailed recommendations for managing this shortage online
Key recommendations include:
- There is no need to supplement chromium (chromic chloride) during a shortage except in patients showing signs of clinical deficiency (eg, glucose intolerance, hyperlipidemia, peripheral neuropathy, and encephalopathy).
- Consider oral or enteral multi-vitamin or multi-mineral products for supplementation if possible.
- Reserve supplies for neonatal or pediatric patients or other vulnerable groups such as patients with short bowel or malabsorption syndromes.
- Avoid using trace elements additives in IV fluids.
- Increase vigilance of signs and symptoms of trace element deficiencies.
- Purchase only the supply needed, do not stockpile.
July 8, 2014; April 25, 2014; February 10, 2014; December 27, 2013; December 13, 2013; November 25, 2013; November 1, 2013; October 15, 2013; September 26, 2013; September 19, 2013; August 29, 2013; August 16, 2013; June 24, 2013; May 30, 2013; May 3, 2013; April 1, 2013; February 22, 2013; January 23, 2013; December 31, 2012; December 10, 2012; October 19, 2012; August 7, 2012; May 24, 2012; April 11, 2012; March 5, 2012; January 3, 2012; November 21, 2011, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins