Products Affected - Description
Levocarnitine injection, American Regent
200 mg/mL, 5 mL vials (NDC 00517-1045-25)
Levocarnitine injection, West-Ward (formerly Bedford product)
200 mg/mL, 5 mL vials (NDC 55390-0136-05)
Levocarnitine injection, Teva
200 mg/mL, 5 mL vials (NDC 00703-0404-02)
200 mg/mL, 12.5 mL vials (NDC 00703-0405-02)
Reason for the Shortage
- American Regent has levocarnitine injection on back order due to manufacturing delays.
- Teva could not provide a reason for the shortage.
- West-Ward Pharmaceuticals’ parent company, Hikma Pharmaceuticals, acquired several products from Bedford Laboratories in July 2014 including levocarnitine injection. West-Ward is not actively marketing levocarnitine injection.
Carnitor injection, Sigma Tau
200 mg/mL, 5 mL vials (NDC 54482-0147-01)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- American Regent has levocarnitine injection on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Teva has levocarnitine injection on back order and the company estimates a release date of 2nd quarter 2015.
November 12, 2014; August 28, 2014; May 28, 2014; February 26, 2014; January 15, 2014; October 14, 2013; August 5, 2013; May 22, 2013; April 19, 2013; February 13, 2013; December 12, 2012; October 12, 2012, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins