Products Affected - Description
Polymyxin B Powder for Solution, West-Ward (formerly Bedford product)
500,000 units per vial, 10 count (NDC 55390-0139-10)
Polymyxin B Powder for Solution, Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP)
500,000 units per vial, 10 count (NDC 63323-0321-10)
Reason for the Shortage
- Fresenius Kabi (formerly APP) could not provide a reason for the shortage.
- Sagent suspended manufacturing of Polymyxin B sulfate injection in October, 2012.
- West-Ward Pharmaceuticals’ parent company, Hikma Pharmaceuticals, acquired several products from Bedford Laboratories in July 2014 including polymyxin B sulfate injection.
Polymyxin B Powder for Solution, X-Gen
500,000 units per vial, single count (NDC 39822-0166-05)
500,000 units per vial, 10 count (NDC 39822-0170-02)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Fresenius has polymyxin B injection on back order and the company estimates a release date in early-September 2014.
- West-Ward has polymyxin B sulfate injection on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
August 28, 2014; July 31, 2014; July 23, 2014; July 17, 2014; June 5, 2014; March 31, 2014; January 15, 2014; October 9, 2013; September 12, 2013; August 27, 2013; August 22, 2013; August 15, 2013; May 8, 2013; March 20, 2013; January 25, 2013; November 28, 2012; November 15, 2012, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins