Products Affected - Description
Cefuroxime Solution, B.Braun
750 mg DUPLEX® system, package of 1 (NDC 00264-3112-11) - discontinued
1.5 gram DUPLEX® system, package of 1 (NDC 00264-3114-11) - discontinued
Zinacef Powder for Injection, Covis
7.5 gram bulk vial, package of 6 (NDC 24987-0400-00)
Cefuroxime Powder for Injection, Fresenius Kabi
750 mg vial, package of 25 (NDC 63323-0352-45)
1.5 gram vial, package of 25 (NDC 63323-0353-45)
7.5 gram bulk vial, package of 10 (NDC 63323-0354-45)
Cefuroxime Powder for Injection, Sagent
750 mg vial, package of 25 (NDC 25021-0118-10)
1.5 gram vial, package of 25 (NDC 25021-0119-20)
7.5 gram bulk vial, package of 10 (NDC 25021-0120-59)
Cefuroxime Powder for Injection, West-Ward
750 mg vial, package of 25 (NDC 00143-9979-22)
1.5 gram vial, package of 25 (NDC 00143-9977-22)
7.5 gram bulk vial, package of 10 (NDC 00143-9976-03)
Reason for the Shortage
- Sagent states manufacture of cefuroxime 1.5 gram was suspended in March, 2013. No further production is planned.
- Hospira discontinued cefuroxime 1.5 gram and 7.5 gram vials in January, 2013.
- Covis launched the new NDC numbers in August 2013.
- BBraun discontinued their cefuroxime solution in December 2013.
- Fresenius Kabi discontinued manufacturing cefuroxime in 2013.
Zinacef Powder for Injection, Covis
750 mg vial, package of 10 (NDC 24987-0352-10)
750 mg ADD-Vantage vial, package of 25 (NDC 24987-0436-00)
1.5 gram vial, package of 10 (NDC 24987-0354-10)
1.5 gram ADD-Vantage vial (NDC 24987-0437-00)
Zinacef Solution, Covis
1.5 gram/50 mL premix, package of 24 (NDC 24987-0425-00)
Estimated Resupply Dates
- Covis has Zinacef powder for injection 7.5 gram vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- Sagent has cefuroxime powder for injection 750 mg, 1.5 gram, and 7.5 gram vials on back order and the company cannot estimate a release date.
- West-Ward has cefuroxime powder for injection 750 mg and 7.5 gram bulk vials on back order with an estimated release date of late-August to early-September 2014. Cefuroxime 1.5 gram vials are on allocation.
August 13, 2014; August 4, 2014; July 9, 2014; June 25, 2014; April 11, 2014; March 14, 2014; January 15, 2014; December 10, 2013; October 10, 2013; August 27, 2013; August 1, 2013; July 16, 2013; June 6, 2013; May 6, 2013; April 12, 2013; March 22, 2013; March 8, 2013; February 6, 2013; January 29, 2013; January 25, 2013, University of Utah, Drug Information Service. Copyright 2014, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
This information is provided through the support of Novation to ASHP solely as a service to its members, which shall not use this information for their further commercial use. The content was prepared by the Drug Information Center of University of Utah. Novation, ASHP, and the University of Utah make no representations or warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose, which respect to such information, and specifically disclaim all such warranties. Users of this information are advised that decisions regarding the use of drugs and drug therapies are complex medical decisions and that in using this information, each user must exercise his or her own independent professional judgment. Neither Novation, ASHP nor the University of Utah assumes any liability for persons administering or receiving drugs or other medical care in reliance upon this information, or otherwise in connection with this bulletin. Neither Novation, ASHP nor University of Utah endorses or recommends the use of any drug.
« Back to Drug Shortage Product Bulletins