Student Society Development Grant Program
The ASHP Student Society Development Grant Program (formerly known as Seed Grants) is intended to encourage the development of student societies of health-system pharmacy (SSHPs) in colleges of pharmacy throughout the United States.
- Grants are intended for use by the ASHP state affiliate and college of pharmacy partners to establish a new SSHP, or to strengthen an existing SSHP, and ultimately to aid the SSHP to achieve official ASHP Recognition (visit www.ashp.org/students for more information on the recognition program);
- Grant funds available may vary each year and are intended for activities and programs to be implemented during the 2014-2015 academic year;
- Grant proposals should outline plans for activities and programming as specified in the criteria for the ASHP Student Society Recognition Program;
- Priority is given to applicants who develop a plan to establish a new SSHP in a school where one does not currently exist;
- Schools with existing SSHPs may also apply for funds to strengthen the organization in an effort to achieve official ASHP recognition, with preference given to newly established SSHPs (within past 36 months) and established but inactive SSHPs.
ACPE accredited and provisionally accredited colleges of pharmacy are eligible to apply. Satellite campuses may apply for separate grants ONLY if they exist (or plan to exist) as a distinct organization from the main campus (e.g. distinct bylaws, officers, meetings, projects, etc.). Grant recipients are not eligible to receive the ASHP Student Society Development Grant in two consecutive years.
Follow the guidelines below to draft your grant proposal. Successful proposals will address specifically how the activities and programming planned will help the student society to achieve official ASHP student society recognition. (Visit www.ashp.org/students to learn more about recognition program.)
- Objective: (limit to 150 words or less) Provide a brief, clear statement of the objective of your grant proposal (e.g. Launch new SSHP; Strengthen fledgling SSHP, Achieve SSHP Recognition, Revive inactive SSHP, etc.).
- Activity and Programming Plans: (limit to 2 pages or less) Describe the activities and programming you intend to complete to achieve official ASHP Student Society Recognition by meeting the criteria as listed below:
Describe plans to hold at least one membership drive during the academic year to recruit members for ASHP, the ASHP state affiliate (if one exists) and the SSHP
- Career Development
- Describe plans to administer the school-level Clinical Skills Competition (Visit www.ashp.org/clinicalskills to learn more. This requirement is waived for new schools without students enrolled in the final two professional years.)
- Describe plans to coordinate at least two (2) events featuring health-system speakers
- Describe plans to coordinate at least one (1) informational session on residency training
- Professional Development Project
Describe plans to participate in at least one (1) project to help ASHP meet the goals expressed in the ASHP Strategic Plan [PDF]
The SSHP must incorporate PPMI into at least one (1) SSHP activity (career development or professional development project). Ideas for incorporating PPMI include: a guest speaker presenting on a PPMI topic, the SSHP professional development project focusing on one of the PPMI recommendations, etc.
The SSHP must collaborate with the ASHP state affiliate on at least one (1) SSHP activity (career development activities or professional development project).
- Funding: (limit to 1 page or less) Describe funds requested and how these will be utilized to achieve activity and programming plans. Describe additional fundraising plans to supplement grant monies received. (Note: Up to $500 can be requested by the college of pharmacy and an additional $250 can be requested if applying jointly with the state affiliate health-system pharmacy organization for a total of $750. Joint applications should clearly describe involvement of state affiliate organization and specifically indicate how additional funds will be used. Funds will be dispersed separately as assigned to the school or state affiliate. Contact email@example.com if you need assistance locating the contact information for your state affiliate president and/or executive.)
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- All grant applications must be received on or before May 30, 2015.
- Applications will be evaluated and awards will be distributed on or before July 31, 2015.
- Grant recipients should plan to present a summary of the proposed and/or competed activities and programming to date as a poster at the 2015 ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting Student Society Showcase
- A final summary of completed activities and programs should be submitted to ASHP no later than May 1, 2016. Summaries will be posted to the ASHP website.
How to Apply
- 2015 Application Form Coming Soon
For an example, please see the Model Grant Proposal [PDF]
- Forward all materials in ONE (1) submission to the address listed below. Grant proposals for 2015 must be received by May 30, 2015. Evaluation, selection and funding will be completed by July 31, 2015.
E-mail (preferred): Students@ashp.org
Mail: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
Attn: Director, ASHP Pharmacy Student Forum
7272 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814
Attention 2014 Grant Project Directors: You are required to provide ASHP with a final summary at the completion of your grant project no later than May 1, 2015.
Congratulations to the 2014 Student Society Development Grant Recipients!
- University of Arizona College of Pharmacy
- South Dakota State University
- Idaho State University – Meridian Campus
- Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy – Puerto Rico Campus