Purpose and Scope
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) aims to foster an inclusive community for the largest number of collaborators having the most varied and diverse backgrounds as possible. As such, this Code of Conduct was established by ASHP to communicate a set of standards and guidelines for acceptable behavior at ASHP meetings and events to provide a collegial, safe, and welcoming environment regardless of a person’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, age, religion, disability status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical appearance, or other characteristic, in which all Participants are treated with respect and dignity. ASHP expects all Participants to display the highest level of personal and professional integrity. ASHP further expects individuals to refrain from harassing speech and other harassing behavior.
This Event Code of Conduct (the “Code of Conduct”) outlines the ASHP’s expectations for all who participate in ASHP in-person and virtual meetings and events (including, sponsored events, initiatives, online webinars and trainings), as well as the potential consequences for behavior that violates this Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies in all cases and covers business and social activities (including, but not limited to, chats, question and answer (Q&A) sessions, email, social media, and text messages) regardless of the venue or platform of the meeting or event. ASHP expects that all Participants in ASHP meetings and events act to ensure safe and positive experiences for all event “Participants.” This Code of Conduct defines “Participant” as anyone connected in any manner with an ASHP meeting or event, including, but not limited to, ASHP staff, ASHP volunteers, ASHP members, contractors, faculty, vendors, exhibitors, venue and platform staff, and all attendees.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS EVENT CODE OF CONDUCT IS NOT INTENDED TO, AND SHOULD NOT PREVENT OR SUPERSEDE THE CONTACTING OF, SECURITY OR LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL IN CIRCUMSTANCES THAT WOULD WARRANT SUCH ACTIONS.
ASHP expects all Participants to adhere to the following rules:
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Promote open competition and comply with antitrust and related laws by not discussing restraints of trade, prices, pricing policies, terms and conditions of purchase or sale, costs, future company plans, boycotting of customers or products, or any other topics that might be considered anti-competitive in nature.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow Participants. Alert the ASHP staff if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct.
Unacceptable behaviors include face-to-face conduct or media/electronic postings that include or are characterized by:
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, or demeaning actions or speech.
- Derogatory verbal or written comments or images related to gender, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, race, ancestry, religion, national origin, political orientation, socioeconomic, disability or ability status, age, or other personal characteristics, including those protected by law.
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images.
- Deliberate intimidation or stalking.
- Violating the rules and regulations of the respective online provider, as applicable.
- Sustained disruption of discussion or events.
- Unwelcome sexual attention, requests for sexual favors, or other unwelcome physical, verbal, visual or other similar conduct of a sexual nature.
- Harassing photography, recording, or electronic communications, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Photographing or reproducing slides of presentations, sessions and posters without permission.
- Real or implied threat of harm or violence.
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial harm.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- “Trolling” i.e. posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in virtual platforms.
- Unauthorized spamming or solicitation, with the exception of personal, one-on-one communications through an ASHP-approved platform/mobile application, as applicable.
- Failure to cease unacceptable behavior when requested by a Participant or by ASHP staff.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior by any Participant will not be tolerated by ASHP. Any Participant who is asked to stop such unacceptable behavior will be expected to comply immediately. If a Participant continues to engage in unacceptable behavior, ASHP may take any lawful action it deems appropriate, including, but not limited to:
- Immediate removal or termination of access of such Participant from the meeting or event venue (whether in-person or virtual) without warning.
- Restriction from future ASHP meetings and events, as well as the imposition of a permanent ban on such individual from participation in any future ASHP events.
- Termination of ASHP membership.
If You Are the Target of Unacceptable Behavior
If you are the target of unacceptable behavior or have any other concerns related to witnessing unacceptable behavior, please contact a member of the ASHP staff immediately. In addition, and if possible, ASHP requests to be provided with the following information in writing:
- Identifying information of the individual engaging in the unacceptable behavior
- A description of the unacceptable behavior
- The approximate time and place/manner of the behavior
- Identification of any other persons involved in or witnessing the behavior
If necessary or if requested, ASHP staff will contact venue security and local law enforcement, provide escorts, and will otherwise take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that any affected individual feels safe for the duration of the meeting or event, as applicable. If warranted, ASHP may communicate about its responses under this Code of Conduct to the employers or sponsors of involved Participants to law enforcement media and the public, as ASHP deems reasonable and appropriate.
Anyone who believes that he or she has been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct should notify ASHP and provide a concise statement of grievance. All grievances will be fully investigated.
Threats or acts of retaliation against Participants who report inappropriate conduct pursuant to this Code of Conduct or provide information in connection with a report by another individual will not be tolerated. In the event you believe that you have been retaliated against for such action, you should use the above procedures to report the pertinent facts promptly. ASHP will investigate and take appropriate action in the manner described above.
This Code of Conduct is a voluntary expression of the views and intentions of ASHP with respect to harassment and other objectionable behavior. ASHP assumes no liability or responsibility for the actions of any Participant. ASHP is not responsible for protecting or assuring the well-being of any Participant. This Code of Conduct does not create or acknowledge any legal obligations for ASHP.
Virtual Meetings and Events Etiquette and Guidelines for Q&A, Chat, and General Discussions
- Do not attack others. The discussions within the Q&A, chat and general discussions within the platforms are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention.
- Do not post commercial messages. Unless the chat is designated specifically for use by our sponsors, we ask that you contact individuals directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them. The session chat and Q&A should not be used in this manner.
- Products and services are as follows: promotional materials, special offers, job offers, product announcements, or solicitations for services.
- ASHP reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to remove such messages and potentially ban sources of those solicitations.
Use caution when discussing experiences. Information posted on any platform is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, antitrust and other laws. Avoid discussions pertaining to politics, religion, and those including sexual content. All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited and will be removed. Do not discuss ASHP administrative/moderator actions or personal membership inquiries on online forums. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not anyone to know came from you. Please note carefully all items listed in the ASHP disclaimer and legal rules, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the platform as well as to the chat and Q&A. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. Job postings are prohibited. Remember that ASHP and other Participants have the right to reproduce postings.
Some general tips to help you maintain good etiquette when reproducing content.
- Be courteous. Please ask Participants for permission to republish their words elsewhere (especially if elsewhere would be a publicly viewable setting).
- When citing virtual meeting and event discussions, please include a link back to the original discussion or to the applicable ASHP meeting or event website.
General Virtual Etiquette
- Transparency is very important in gaining trust in online relationships. Therefore be clear about who you are and who you work for when posting on any platform. This means including your real name upon entry to the meeting room, disclosing the identity of your employer and using a profile picture of your likeness.
- Think about what you want to post and decide which platform is best for your message. ASHP is offering the chat and Q&A within the meeting platforms for specific questions about the topic presented. If you are looking to start a conversation around a broader topic area, please consider utilizing the ASHP Connect community.
ASHP reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to block any Participants who do not abide by these guidelines.