Health care reform legislation presents a unique opportunity for pharmacy issues to be heard. This toolkit contains the tools and resources you need to start advocacy projects at the local level. Advocacy is not only important – it's essential!
General Advocacy Resources
- Advocacy - Where Would You Even Start (Blog)
- Overview of key issues at the state and federal levels
- Implementation of a grassroots advocacy movement through state and local collaboration
- Elevator Speech - Suggested Talking Points
Invite your Legislator to Work
Give your state and federal legislators an up close look at legislative issues relevant to pharmacy by hosting a visit at your site.
Attend a Legislative Day
A meeting with your elected official in their Washington D.C. or local office will educate them about your role on the healthcare team.
- Making introductions
- Planning for an office visit
- Locate your legislators
- Sample Thank You Letter [DOC]
For More Information
- ASHP Advocacy Resources
- ASHP Grassroots Action Center
- Legislators Supported by ASHP
- Contribute to the ASHP-PAC
Literature Supporting Impact of Pharmacists' Services
- Boesken TA, Dalhover A, McKinney KC. Removing patient access barrier through informatics integration in a clinic-based outpatient pharmacy. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019; 76(8): 489-92.
- Carter KL, Bonanni S. Role of the pharmacist in refugee health. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019; 76(6): 403-6.
- Chung C, Kim S, Bubalo J. Instilling value, quality, and safety through hematology and oncology stewardship. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019.76(9): 617-21.
- Coffey CP, Ulbrich TR, Baughman K, et al. The effect of an interprofessional pain service on nonmalignant pain control. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019. 76: S49-54.
- Jones LK, Greskovic G, Grassi DM, et al. Medication therapy disease management: Geisinger’s approach to population health management. Am J Health Syst Pharm.. 2017; 74(18): 1422-35.
- Ni W, Colayco D, Hashimoto J, et al. Reduction of healthcare costs through a transitions-of-care program. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2018;75(10): 613-21.
- Poirier RH, Brown CS, Baggenstos YT et al. Impact of pharmacist-directed pain management service on an inpatient opioid use, pain control, and patient safety. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019; 76(1): 17-25.
- Ryan KL, Jakeman B, Conklin J, Pineda LJ, Deming P, Mercier RC. Treatment of patients with HIV or hepatitis C by pharmacist clinicians in a patient-centered medical home. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019; 76(11): 821-8.
- Warshany K, Sherrill C, Cavanaugh J. Medicare annual wellness visits conducted by a pharmacist in an internal medicine clinic. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2014;71(1): 44-49.