As new practitioners an important aspect of your new position will be to train and mentor future pharmacists along their path to professionalism. The resources below can serve as guidance as you develop the most effective methods to teach and mentor your students.
ASHP Preceptor Toolkit
- General Resources: These resources are designed for pharmacists who have a formal or informal responsibility to precept student pharmacists.
- Rotation Resources: These resources include sample checklists, schedules, and evaluations for preparing and overseeing student pharmacist rotations.
- Serving as a preceptor to pharmacy students: Tips on maintaining the desire to inspire (AJHP)
- Serving as a student preceptor: Focus on emerging challenges (AJHP)
- Assessing student performance during experiential rotations (AJHP)
- Assessing students’ motivation during advanced pharmacy practice experiences (AJHP)
- General Resources: These resources are designed for pharmacists who precept pharmacy practice residents and wish to provide a foundation of pharmacy practice knowledge.
Resident Practice and Engagement in a Layered Learning Model
- View the Residency Guide: Recommendations for Practice and Engagement in a Layered Learning Model as a Resident
ASHP Mentor Match
- How to Handle a Failing Student (webinar)
- Providing constructive feedback to a preceptor
- A practical guide to feedback in the workplace: Transitioning from learner to independent practitioner
- Finding opportunities to provide constructive feedback as a preceptor
- Mentor or preceptor: What is the difference? (AJHP)
- Mentorship in the Workplace (ASHP Connect)
- Preceptors Handbook for Pharmacists, 3rd Edition
- The Effective Pharmacy Preceptor
- Preceptor’s Playbook: Tactics, Techniques & Strategies
- National Pharmacy Preceptors Conference