ASHP Announces 2014 Awards
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) will acknowledge the contributions of a diverse group of health care practitioners with the Society’s 2014 recognition awards.
The following awards will be given during ceremonies at ASHP’s national continuing education meetings:
CEO's Award for Courageous Service (ASHP Summer Meetings, June 2014)
The ASHP Chief Executive Officer’s Award for Courageous Service recognizes individuals or groups of individuals in health-system pharmacy who go beyond the call or assignment of duty to serve patients or assist pharmacists in serving patients, such as under emergency conditions or in times of natural disaster or other cataclysmic events. The award is for specific incidents of inspiring, unselfish service under adverse conditions.
- Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Pharmacy, Boston, Mass.
- Barbara Miles Poe, B.S.Pharm., M.B.A., FASHP, Pharmacist in Charge (PIC) Moore Medical Center, Norman Regional Health System, Moore, Okla.
Honorary Membership (ASHP Summer Meetings, June 2014)
Honorary membership in ASHP is bestowed upon individuals who are or have been especially interested in or have made outstanding contributions to pharmacy practice in health systems.
- Michael R. Cohen, R.Ph., M.S., Sc.D. (Hon), FASHP, President, Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Horsham, Pa.
- Harvey A.K. Whitney, Jr., M.S.Pharm., President, Publisher and Editor, Harvey Whitney Books Company, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Award for Distinguished Leadership in Health-System Pharmacy Practice (49th Midyear Clinical Meeting, December 2014)
The Award for Distinguished Leadership in Health-System Pharmacy Practice recognizes the contributions of practitioners who have achieved excellence in health-system pharmacy practice leadership.
- Patricia C. Kienle, MPA, FASHP, Director, Accreditation and Medication Safety, Cardinal Health Innovative Delivery Solutions, Laflin, Pa.
Board of Directors Award of Honor (49th Midyear Clinical Meeting, December 2014)
The ASHP Board of Directors Award of Honor is given to individuals outside the pharmacy discipline who have made significant contributions to the health field.
- Jerod M. Loeb, Ph.D., Executive Vice President, Healthcare Quality Evaluation, The Joint Commission, Oakbrook Terrace, Ill. (awarded posthumously)
Donald E. Francke Medal (49th Midyear Clinical Meeting, December 2014)
The Donald E. Francke Medal honors pharmacists who have made significant international contributions to health-system pharmacy.
- Andrew Lofts Gray, BPharm, MSc (Pharm), FPS, FFIP, Senior Lecturer, Discipline of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Health Sciences, Nelson R. Mandela College of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
ASHP is the national professional organization whose 40,000 members include pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and student pharmacists who provide patient care services in hospitals, health systems, and ambulatory clinics. For 70 years, the Society has been on the forefront of efforts to improve medication use and enhance patient safety. For more information about the wide array of ASHP activities and the many ways in which pharmacists help people make the best use of medicines, visit ASHP's website, www.ashp.org, or its consumer website, www.safemedication.com.