ASHP encourages student members to become involved with their SSHP, ASHP State Affiliates and ASHP national. To recognize student involvement, health-systems interest, and dedication to professional development, the Pharmacy Student Forum has recommended a formal process by which student members may earn ASHP graduation cords to be worn as a part of graduation regalia.
This program page is intended to provide general recommendations for graduation cord requirements and program implementation. Please note that ASHP is not responsible for collecting trackers or orders, nor monitoring requirement compliance. Additionally, ASHP will not cover the costs of graduation cords. Each SSHP that chooses to offer this program is responsible for the implementation, cost and for ordering the cords. Additionally, SSHPs are welcome to modify the criteria by adding requirements applicable to their local and state societies. Please see the ASHP Graduation Cord Manual for program details.
The criteria below are the official recommendation brought forth by the ASHP Pharmacy Student Forum. Criteria are designed to recognize student involvement, health-systems interest, and dedication to professional development. The criteria below are not comprehensive, and SSHPs can choose to modify applicable programs that satisfy each category, based on their local and state offerings.
I. Encourage Active Membership
- Maintain membership in both ASHP and SSHP for at least 2 years by the student’s graduation date
II. Encourage members to participate in the activities of the local, state, and national organizations of health-system pharmacists
- Attend a combined minimum of 3 national, regional, or local conferences/symposiums
- Examples of eligible ASHP National meetings include but are not limited to: ASHP Summer Meetings and Exhibition, ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, and ASHP Policy Week
- Examples of eligible ASHP State Affiliate meetings include but are not limited to: State Affiliate annual meeting, State Affiliate official networking event, other official meeting/conference organized by the ASHP State Affiliate
- Examples of eligible SSHP meetings include but are not limited to: SSHP symposiums, SSHP networking event, SSHP volunteering activity
Please note: SSHP general body meetings do not satisfy this requirement and local affiliate monthly meetings do not satisfy this requirement
III. Prepare student pharmacists for residency programs
- Attend at least 2 residency-focused programs or sessions
- CV Review Program through SSHP, ASHP State Affiliate, or ASHP
- Residency Showcases or Residency Panels through SSHP, ASHP State Affiliate or ASHP
- Midyear to Match Preparation Meetings through SSHP, ASHP State Affiliate, or ASHP
- Other virtual or in-person sessions related to residency preparation
IV. Choose 2 additional items from the choices below
- Encourage proper use of medicine in the general public/promote participation in service activities throughout the community
- SSHP-sponsored community service events (e.g. drug take-back days, brown bag events, health fairs, etc.)
- State affiliate collaboration for community service
- Provide information on career alternatives, specialized training, and credentials
- Attend SSHP programming regarding career options (e.g. pharmacist panel, lunch & learns, etc.)
- Participate in ASHP Connect Mentor Program
- Participate in the ASHP Clinical Skills Competition
- Participate in an ASHP Continuing Education Webinar
- Participate in certificate or certification programs or workshops through SSHP, ASHP State Affiliate, or ASHP
- Provide service to the profession through leadership roles
- Serve as an SSHP Executive Board member for at least 1 full term
- Serve as an SSHP Committee Chair for at least 1 full term
- Serve as an SSHP Committee member for at least 1 full term
- Hold a national position in ASHP (e.g. ASHP Section, Pharmacy Student Forum Advisory Groups, Pharmacy Student Forum Advisory Group Ad Hoc Committee)
- Advocate for the profession through interactions with other members of the healthcare industry and the public
- Attend ASHP advocate training and/or national/state/local legislative day
- Participate in SSHP, ASHP State Affiliate or ASHP advocacy programming (e.g. how to testify, how to send e-mails, etc.)
- Participate in one Practice Advancement Initiative (PAI) related event through SSHP, ASHP State Affiliate, or ASHP
- Promote research in pharmaceutical science and care
- Present a research poster at an ASHP affiliated professional meeting (e.g. local, state, or national professional meetings)
- Publish a column for the AJHP Pharmacy Student Forum Column
Additional SSHP Criteria
SSHPs may elect to add SSHP-specific and/or state-specific programming/activities as bulleted items, to satisfy the requirements defined above.
To order please go to www.honorsgraduation.com.
The cords are single royal blue/orange cords. After the order is placed, it takes about 4-6 business days for delivery.
For additional information and step by step ordering instructions, please see the Graduation Cord Manual below.
If you have any questions, please email the ASHP Pharmacy Student Forum at firstname.lastname@example.org.