The first goal of ASHP’s strategic plan regarding patients and their care is to “Optimize patients’ medication outcomes in and across all settings of care.” ASHP has a history of promoting accountability for patient outcomes. The Society is a proponent of the goals of the National Quality Strategy (NQS) and Partnership for Patients (PfP). Through membership and engagement in the National Quality Forum and the Pharmacy Quality Alliance the organization has contributed much to quality measurement.
ASHP is accelerating achievement of the national agenda by arriving at consensus on existing quality measures that can be used to demonstrate health-system pharmacist accountability for clinical outcomes. The Pharmacy Accountability Measures (PAM) work group seeks to identify national quality measures that establish accountability and demonstrate improvements in clinical outcomes by health-system pharmacists. A report has just been released on the work and is available in AJHP.
- Recommended quality measures for health-system pharmacy: 2019 update from the Pharmacy Accountability Measures Work Group [AJHP]
- Measures and measure specifications change frequently. As such, the PAM work group will update the measure table from the manuscript regularly.
Access the most current table here.
Measures recommended by the PAM workgroup fall into seven clinical domains for inpatient and outpatient settings and transitions of care: antithrombotic safety, cardiovascular control, glucose control, pain management, behavioral health, and antimicrobial stewardship. If you have any questions on the work please contact us at PracticeAdvancement@ashp.org.
ASHP Best Practices and Resources
- Pseudocode for ASHP Pharmacy Accountability Measures [PDF]
- ASHP Statement on the pharmacist's role in national healthcare quality initiatives [PDF]
- ASHP guidelines on adverse drug event monitoring and reporting [PDF]
- ASHP guidelines on preventing medication errors in hospitals [PDF]
- ASHP\APhA Medication Management in Care Transitions Best Practices [PDF]
- ASHP Foundation Antithrombotic-Use Assessment Tool for Hospitals and Health Systems
- ASHP therapeutic position statement on the role of pharmacotherapy in preventing venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients [PDF]
- ASHP Statement on the Pharmacist’s Role in Antimicrobial Stewardship [PDF]