The ASHP Pharmacy Student Forum is pleased to host the New Drug Update Competition. With a plethora of new drugs coming out on a consistent basis, this competition will showcase new drug write-ups created by students, with the winners featured via the ASHP online platform. Not only is this an excellent way to stay on top of your pharmacy game, but it also serves as an opportunity to bolster their CV and prepare for residency. Submissions will be accepted in the Fall, featuring a drug that is new to the market. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2018 Competition Drug: Andexxa™ (Andexanet Alfa)
Please provide a 1 page (references excluded in length), single space, 10 font Times New Roman written assessment of the respective newly approved drug. Please format in the order below.
- Title: Active Ingredient, Drug Manufacturer, Drug Class
- Indication: (15 words or less)
- Comparable Drug(s):
- Disease State/Drug Class Summary: (150 words or less)
- Most important risk/adverse events:
- Most common adverse events:
- Advantages (2-4):
- Disadvantages (2-4):
- Usual dosage:
- Available Products:
- Comments: (Only if needed)
- References: (in AMA format)
Rules and Eligibility
- Must be an ASHP member (list membership number on submission)
- Must be a pharmacy student
- Maximum 3 students per submission
- Must submit before specified deadline
- Cannot win back to back competitions
- Plagiarism is not allowed
- Must stay within specified drugs and template or else will be disqualified.
Participate in the Fall 2018 New Drug Update Competition!
Submissions will be accepted from participants from October 15 - November 9, 2018.
Fall 2018- Andexxa™ (Andexanet Alfa):
- 1st Place: Katisha Wilson, Ca Truong, and Hiba Yacout, Mercer University College of Pharmacy
- 2nd Place: Dhanuvarshini Prakasam and Julia Heo, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy
- 3rd Place: Dian Lin, Jennifer Aguilar, and Shahrier Hossain, University at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Spring 2018- Bevyxxa™ (Betrixaban):
- 1st Place: Sarah Rinehart, University of the Incarnate Word Feik School of Pharmacy
Fall 2017- Radicava (edaravone):
- 1st Place: Courtney Holmes, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy
- 2nd Place: Hayley Brazeale, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy
- 3rd Place: Josephine Tan, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
Spring 2017- Zinplava™ (bezlotoxumab):
- 1st Place: Tessa Kelly, St. John Fisher College
- 2nd Place: Spencer Bolton, Sullivan University College of Pharmacy
- 3rd Place: Eric Fela, Northeast Ohio Medical University College of Pharmacy