Under direct supervision from the pharmacy informatics specialist, a pharmacy technician information systems specialist is responsible for oversight and integrity of the computer systems and software applications utilized to support pharmacy operations and services, which include pharmacy system and automated dispensing, and compounding systems.
The pharmacy technician information system specialist also acts as the pharmacy ad hoc "Hospital Application Coordinator (HAC)" for the pharmacy system, and is responsible for:
- Planning, implementation and oversight of
- New instillation
- Interface upgrades and user trainings
- Routine maintenance and troubleshooting of systems and associated equipment;
- Maintaining applications tables and files, and report-writing
Roles of Pharmacy Technicians in Pharmacy Informatics
Additional Pharmacy Informatics Resources
Suggested Tips for Interested Pharmacy Technicians
- Network at your place of employment for opportunities with pharmacy informatics.
- Research areas related to:
- Analytics software
- Central pharmacy automation
- Electronic order entry
- Electronic records management
- IV Compounding technology
- Medication adherence solutions
- Medication and supply dispensing automation
- Review job position descriptions and postings
- Analyze required knowledge/skills/abilities needed to move into the field of informatics
- Update your resume; be sure to include:
- Hands-on experience with the implementation and maintenance of pharmacy information systems
- Bar code medication administration and computerized prescriber order entry proficiency
- Pharmacy database maintenance experience
- Analysis, design, testing and implementation of new processes skills
- Ability to prioritizes work to meet patient needs
- Review PTCB CPhT 2020’s knowledge reference document.
- Complete continuing education modules that contain pharmacy informatics. For available T-designated activities to meet pharmacy technician CE requirements, visit ASHP’s PharmacyTechCE.org.
- Visit the ASHP store for relevant pharmacy technician tools and resources on pharmacy informatics, like Manual for Pharmacy Technicians or The Pharmacy Informatics Primer