Adaptable, Consultative, Respected
ASHP pharmacy services accreditation applies CPPA standards in an accreditation process that brings ASHP’s pharmacy knowledge and accreditation expertise in to your pharmacy organization. These standards reflect national quality initiatives and contemporary and future practices of specialty pharmacy. The process is designed to be easy to understand, flexible, and consultative in nature. The accreditation process can be tailored to different models of care. Accreditation focuses on optimal care delivery through evaluation of:
- Effective patient care plans to achieve desired medication therapy outcomes
- Patient-specific assessments and optimal collection, use, and documentation of information
- Inclusion of specialty drug-specific assessment and disease state-specific assessment requirements
- Comprehensive review of the patient’s medication history and medication list prior to each fill
- Documentation of all pharmacy case management activities
- Patient consultation and education
- Quality metrics and quality improvement plans
Successful accreditation signifies to payers, patients, and other healthcare providers that the pharmacy provides an advanced level of high-quality, safe, and efficient patient care in a predictable and measurable way.
Accreditation is the process by which ASHP will assess your pharmacy’s level of performance in relation to the established accreditation standard and will create for ways to continuously improve. It takes roughly 8 to 10 months, and consists of the following steps: application, document submission, site survey, and determination of accreditation status.
Reaccreditation occurs every three years, repeating the accreditation process as described.
Pharmacy Services Accreditation Documents