As more individual states pass legislation allowing pharmacists to prescribe contraceptive agents, pharmacists in the community and ambulatory care settings must be prepared to properly assess and screen patients prior to contraceptive initiation, select the best product for individual patients, provide effective counseling, and make necessary adjustments when patients experience adverse effects and other challenges. During this activity, presenters will discuss advocacy considerations in expanding the pharmacist’s role in oral contraceptive prescribing where it is not yet legal and share their experience in prescribing oral contraceptives.
Activity Fee: Member - Free / Non-Member - Not Available
Registration for this webinar will be approved for ASHP Members Only. ASHP member ID number is required to register. Find your ASHP membership ID here. Not an ASHP member?
- Identify the barriers to oral contraceptive access and use.
- Describe advocacy considerations for expanding the pharmacist’s role in oral contraceptive prescribing.
- Discuss the screening process of patients for eligibility of pharmacist-provided for oral contraceptives.
- Recall key differences between oral contraceptive types, drug interactions, and contraindications for use.
- Describe effective patient consultation on the safe and appropriate use of pharmacist-provided oral contraceptives.
- Keri DePatis, Pharm.D., Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Palm Beach Atlantic University, Lloyd L. Gregory School of Pharmacy, West Palm Beach, FL
- Cynthia King, Pharm.D., BCACP, Ambulatory Care Pharmacy Specialist, PGY2 Ambulatory Care Residency Program Director, and PGY-1 Residency Program Director MetroHealth Bedford Medical Office, Cleveland, OH, Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Northeast Ohio Medical University College of Pharmacy, Rootstown, OH
- Lorinda Anderson, Pharm.D., BCPS, Clinical Assistant Professor, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Corvallis, OR
- Moderator: Christopher Pack, Pharm.D., MSHCA, BCPS, AE-C, Pharmacy Residency Program, Director, Clinical Pharmacist, Choctaw Nation Health Care Center, Talihina, OK
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. This knowledge-based activity will provide 1.0 hour (0.1 CEUs) of continuing pharmacy education credits (ACPE#:0204-0000-21-002-L01-P).
Continuing pharmacy education (CPE) for this activity will be processed on ASHP's eLearning portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. After completion of the live webinar, you will process and claim CPE credit online at elearning.ashp.org. Pharmacists will need the enrollment code that will be announced at the end of the webinar and your eProfile ID from NABP to earn CPE credits. Follow the prompts to claim credit within 60 days after completing the activity.
CE Activity Announcement
The ASHP Section of Section of Ambulatory Care Practitioners is recognized for the organization of this webinar continuing education activity.
For questions and comments, please email [email protected].