Direct-to-consumer advertising has increased patient awareness and is driving more patients to seek information and treatment for migraine headaches. Oral medications, such as propranolol, topiramate, and sodium valproate, are most frequently used first-line for prevention of migraine headaches, based on current guidelines, cost and ease of use. Both patients and prescribers will look to pharmacists for their knowledge and expertise to assist in assessing cost versus benefit of these new medications. The pharmacist also has a role in migraine clinics which can help patients manage their symptoms and lead a productive life when their medications are monitored and adjusted for their needs. This activity will discuss the pharmacists role in migraine treatment and medication management.
Activity Fee: Member - Free / Non-Member - Not Available
Registration for this webinar will be approved for ASHP Members Only. ASHP member ID number is required to register. Find your ASHP membership ID here. Not an ASHP member?
- Summarize current treatment guidelines for migraine headache treatment and prevention.
- List therapeutic strategies for managing migraine.
- Identify the new oral medications FDA-approved for the management of acute migraine attacks.
- Describe the places in migraine therapy that newly approved medications can be used for the management and treatment of migraine.
- Deanna Moretz, Pharm.D., BCPS, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy. Portland, OR
- Kelsey H. Blom, Pharm.D., BCACP, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist - Neurology, Kaiser Permanente. Portland, OR
- Moderator: Megan Herink, Pharm.D., BCPS, Assistant Professor, Oregon State University College of Pharmacy, Portland, OR
The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. This knowledge-based activity will provide 1.0 hour (0.1 CEUs) of continuing pharmacy education credits (ACPE#: 0204-0000-20-035-L01-P).
Continuing pharmacy education (CPE) for this activity will be processed on ASHP's eLearning portal and reported directly to CPE Monitor. After completion of the live webinar, you will process and claim CPE credit online at elearning.ashp.org. Pharmacists will need the enrollment code that will be announced at the end of the webinar and your eProfile ID from NABP to earn CPE credits. Follow the prompts to claim credit within 60 days after completing the activity.
CE Activity Announcement
The ASHP Section of Clinical Specialists and Scientists is recognized for the organization of this webinar continuing education activity.
For questions and comments, please email [email protected].