ASHP is an original sponsor of the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) Action Collaborative on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience and actively leading the pharmacy profession on this issue? ASHP recognizes that a healthy and thriving clinician workforce is essential to ensuring optimal patient health outcomes and safety; this commitment to improving pharmacy workforce well-being and resilience is embedded within ASHP’s Strategic Plan, as well as, a new policy position, 1825 Clinician Well-Being and Resilience, that was approved during the 2018 House of Delegates. Check out a well-being and resilience resource page at ASHP.org to help you, whether you’re a student pharmacist, a pharmacy resident, a pharmacy technician, or an active pharmacist practitioners, in your resilience journey.
- ASHP Statement on Commitment to Clinician Well-Being and Resilience
- Clinician Well-Being and Resilience Connect Community
- Factors Affecting Clinician Well-Being and Resilience Conceptual Model
- National Academy of Medicine Clinician Well-Being Knowledge Hub
To Do List for Promoting a Resilient and Thriving Pharmacy Workforce
Consider this "to do" list as a template for state affiliate involvement in the journey to promote a resilient and thriving pharmacy workforce, both for your individual state affiliate members and the external environments/organizations where they practice. Sample documents and tools are linked throughout the list.
- Read Burnout Among Health Care Professionals: A Call to Explore and Address This Underrecognized Threat to Safe, High-Quality Care
- Review the National Academy of Medicine Clinician Well-Being Knowledge Hub to learn more about:
- Causes of burnout
- Effects of burnout
- Solutions for burnout
- Conceptual model of factors affecting clinician well-being and resilience
- Review ASHP Policy Position 1825 Clinician Well-Being and Resilience
Engage: Create a Well-Being Committee
- Consider including key health-system leaders, academic leaders, and residency directors from your state, including leaders from both small and large sites.
- Consider inviting pharmacy residents, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians.
- Gain a commitment from a volunteer chair or co-chairs to serve as "champions" for embedding well-being and resilience at the state.
- Announce the Well-Being Committee to all state affiliate members.
Prepare: Have all members of the Well-Being Committee review the NAM & ASHP websites
- Browse the National Academy of Medicine Clinician Well-Being Knowledge Hub.
- Browse the ASHP Well-Being and Resilience Resource Center. https://www.ashp.org/pharmacy-practice/resource-centers/clinician-well-being-and-resilience
- Read Burnout syndrome amongst healthcare professionals.
- Watch the webinar Extinguishing the Burnout Yourself and Your Team.
Discuss: Convene a meeting of the Well-Being Committee
- Identify scope, goals, and objectives of the committee.
- Create a commitment statement to improve clinician well-being and reduce clinician burnout, using examples from the National Academy of Medicine.
- Discuss how to educate state affiliate members on burnout.
- Develop a communication plan and metrics for success.
- Sample communication plan for social media, newsletters, etc.
- Tweet this! Art can sometimes say what we cannot. See how hundreds of artists envision a future where there are no barriers to achieving clinician well-being: http://nam.edu/expressclinicianwellbeing/#/ #ClinicianWellBeing
- Tweet this! Our health care system leaves many clinicians exhausted and overwhelmed, reducing their ability to provide patients the best care. Let’s take care of those who take care of us. http://bit.ly/ClinicianWB #ClinicianWellBeing
Promote: Embed wellness into your state affiliate meeting
- Consider a platform presentation on topic at affiliate meeting
- Host a roundtable session for meeting attendees to identify and discuss solutions to treat and prevent workforce burnout.
- Identify opportunities to promote physical well-being at state affiliate meeting.
- Remind conference attendees to incorporate well-being tips to remain healthy and resilient at state affiliate events.
- Offer healthier meal options for attendees.
- Host early morning yoga class, a fun-run, or partner with local fitness venues to provide discounts to meeting attendees.
Expand: Consider opportunities to engage with other healthcare stakeholders in the state
- Discuss issue with peers on ASHP Connect Community on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience
- Create A Culture that Keeps Employees Motivated and Happy