ASHP’s vision is that medication use will be optimal, safe, and effective for all people all of the time.
The mission of pharmacists is to help people achieve optimal health outcomes.
ASHP helps its members achieve this mission by advocating and supporting the professional practice of pharmacists in hospitals, health systems, ambulatory clinics, and other settings spanning the full spectrum of medication use.
ASHP serves its members as their collective voice on issues related to medication use and public health.
Strategic Priorities and Goals
Our Patients and Their Care
- Improve the Health and Well-being of Patients by Optimizing Medication Therapy Outcomes Across the Continuum of Care
- Advance Pharmacy Practice Across the Continuum of Care
- Facilitate Preparation of the Pharmacist Workforce
- Improve Patient Care by Enhancing the Well-being and Resilience of Pharmacists, Student Pharmacists, and Pharmacy Technicians
- Advance the Creation of a Well-Defined Professional Career Path for Pharmacy Technicians by Elevating Their Patient Care Roles, Responsibilities, and Vital Contributions to Enhancing the Direct Patient Care Efforts of Pharmacists
- Advocate for Laws, Regulations, and Standards That Improve Patient Care
Our Members and Partners
- Maintain a High Level of Member Satisfaction and Value
- Grow and Retain an Engaged and Diverse Membership
- Provides Tools to Support ASHP State Affiliates’ Efforts to Improve Patient Care and Advance Pharmacy Practice
- Leverage Strong Sustainable Relationships to Expand ASHP Reach, Influence, and Impact
- Provide Products and Services to Meet Our Member and Customer Needs
Our People and Performance
- Empower and Engage ASHP Staff
- Maintain Effective Financial Management
- Foster Effective and Energized Governance
- Effectively Manage Organizational Infrastructure
Our Patients and Their Care
Improve the Health and Well-being of Patients by Optimizing Medication Therapy Outcomes Across the Continuum of Care
- Continue to enhance the roles pharmacists play as providers of comprehensive medication therapy management and other direct patient care services in all settings.
- Create initiatives to support pharmacists’ efforts to improve patient care transitions.
- Provide tools and resources to help pharmacists serve as leaders on interprofessional teams.
- Advance efforts to support pharmacists’ roles in public and population health.
- Leverage ASHP’s core strength in drug information and informatics to improve clinical decision-making, patient education, and medication-related outcomes.
Advance Pharmacy Practice Across the Continuum of Care
- Educate the public, healthcare administrators and professionals, and policymakers about the essential roles and value of pharmacists.
- Support pharmacists in creating and maintaining sustainable clinical practices.
- Encourage adoption of the ASHP Practice Advancement Initiative.
- Continue to be a leader in developing and disseminating guidelines, best practices, and professional policies to elevate pharmacy practice in all patient care settings.
- Promote the safe and effective use of medication-related technology.
- Foster the creation of outcome measures that demonstrate the effective use of pharmacy resources.
Facilitate Preparation of the Pharmacist Workforce
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to ensure that the pharmacist workforce is educated, trained, and prepared to serve as direct patient care providers on interprofessional teams.
- Support and encourage continuing professional development of the pharmacist workforce.
- Increase the number of ASHP-accredited residency programs and positions to help meet the year 2020 goal for all new college of pharmacy graduates providing direct patient care to have completed a postgraduate-year-one residency.
- Continue to enhance the quality of and accredited program satisfaction with the ASHP residency accreditation process and standards.
- Promote and support development of ASHP certificate programs for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and other healthcare providers.
- Promote and support board certification of pharmacy specialists
- Provide education and resources to help the pharmacy workforce maximize leadership skills and abilities.
Improve Patient Care by Enhancing the Well-being and Resilience of Pharmacists, Student Pharmacists, and Pharmacy Technicians
- Engage in major national initiatives on clinician well-being and resilience.
- Facilitate the development of education aimed at helping pharmacists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians address and effectively cope with the stress and burnout associated with demanding patient care environments.
- Seek opportunities to improve the well-being and resilience of pharmacists participating in postgraduate residency training.
- Foster research that addresses well-being and resilience issues of pharmacists, student pharmacists, and pharmacy technicians.
Advance the Creation of a Well-Defined Professional Career Path for Pharmacy Technicians by Elevating Their Patient Care Roles, Responsibilities, and Vital Contributions to Enhancing the Direct Patient Care Efforts of Pharmacists
- Continue to enhance efforts to make ASHP the membership home for pharmacy technicians.
- Increase the number of ASHP/ACPE-accredited pharmacy technician training programs and positions.
- Continue to enhance the quality of and accredited program satisfaction with the pharmacy technician training program accreditation process and standards.
- Advocate that all pharmacy technicians complete an ASHP/ACPE-accredited training program, be licensed or registered by a board of pharmacy, and be certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
- Engage pharmacy departments in high-profile efforts to support the continuing professional development and overall professionalization of the pharmacy technician workforce.
Advocate for Laws, Regulations, and Standards That Improve Patient Care
- Work with legislators, regulators, and standards-setting bodies at the state and federal level to help ensure that all policies and standards addressing medication use meet the needs of patients and consider the roles pharmacists and pharmacy technicians play as vital members of the patient care team.
- Work in partnership with other pharmacy organizations and stakeholders to amend the Social Security Act to recognize pharmacists as Medicare Part B providers (i.e., provider status).
- Advocate for a drug supply chain that ensures patient access to an adequate and safe supply of affordable drugs.
- Maximize opportunities for pharmacists to improve patient care as healthcare is transformed by legislation and regulation.
- Engage states in efforts to require that all pharmacy technicians complete an ASHP/ACPE-accredited training program, be licensed or registered by a board of pharmacy, and be certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board.
Our Members and Partners
Maintain a High Level of Member Satisfaction and Value
- Continuously expand and enhance member engagement opportunities for all membership segments.
- Continue to build ASHP brand loyalty and member satisfaction by providing benefits, services, and experiences that assist members in meeting their professional needs throughout their careers.
- Continuously listen to and seek member and prospective member feedback in the interest of continuously evolving, innovating, and enhancing member services.
- Enhance and promote the value of ASHP membership and the overall membership experience.
Grow and Retain an Engaged and Diverse Membership
- Continue to grow ASHP membership in all categories.
- Continue to increase member recruitment and retention by anticipating member needs in key practice and professional areas.
- Increase the recruitment and retention rate of student, resident, new graduate, and pharmacy technician members.
Provides Tools to Support ASHP State Affiliates’ Efforts to Improve Patient Care and Advance Pharmacy Practice
- Implement innovative strategies to maintain and strengthen ASHP affiliates.
- Encourage states to advance the goals of the ASHP Practice Advancement Initiative.
- Foster leadership development and effective board governance at the state level.
- Provide guidance to assist in the attainment of the strategic goals of ASHP’s state affiliates.
Leverage Strong Sustainable Relationships to Expand ASHP Reach, Influence, and Impact
- Collaborate with other healthcare organizations to promote interprofessional patient care.
- Promote the value of pharmacists by partnering with and influencing major national healthcare stakeholder associations such as accreditation and regulatory bodies, other healthcare professional and trade organizations, hospital organizations, patient advocacy groups, and others.
- Enhance collaboration among pharmacy schools, state affiliates, and ASHP.
- Increase the number of ASHP-accredited residencies outside the United States.
- Expand the reach of ASHP products and services in the international market.
Provide Products and Services to Meet Our Member and Customer Needs
- Seek, identify, develop, and evaluate innovative products and services to meet the needs of members and customers.
- Maximize the capabilities and value to members of the ASHP website and digital ecosystem.
- Identify and address the unique needs of pharmacists who practice and provide leadership in rapidly evolving or particularly challenging settings (e.g., small, rural, and underserved settings; ambulatory care clinics and other primary care settings; specialty pharmacy; multihospital systems) to ensure that ASHP products and services meet the current and future needs of those members and their patients.
Our People and Performance
Empower and Engage ASHP Staff
- Provide programs and initiatives that support the health, well-being, and resilience of the ASHP staff.
- Engage in continuous quality improvement for all major ASHP programs and initiatives.
- Ensure competitive compensation and benefits policies to recruit and retain exceptional staff at all levels of the organization.
- Encourage, recognize, and reward staff achievements and excellence.
- Provide professional development for staff.
- Provide programs to educate all staff members about pharmacy practice in all practice settings so they can better serve members.
- Enhance opportunities for consistent and active engagement of teleworkers and remote workers.
Maintain Effective Financial Management
- Assure a fiscally responsible annual budget process that accurately forecasts revenues and expenses, prioritizes allocation of resources in alignment with strategic priorities, and ensures a strong financial basis for ASHP operations.
- Develop new revenue-generating products and services to support member needs and sustain financial viability.
- Leverage new technologies, processes, and techniques to promote financial sustainability.
Foster Effective and Energized Governance
- Identify and cultivate a diverse and inclusive pipeline of future member leaders and encourage their active participation in ASHP.
- Provide ongoing development of Board members and officers on governance best practices.
Effectively Manage Organizational Infrastructure
- Effectively leverage technology solutions to create strategic advantages and enhance operational excellence.
- Maintain a comprehensive corporate compliance program.
- Maintain attractive and functional office and meeting space in ASHP headquarters for staff and visitors.
Approved by the ASHP Board of Directors, September 29, 2017.