Larkin University College of Pharmacy
Tells us about one of your proudest accomplishments as an SSHP:
In August 2019, House Representative Jones (District 101) hosted a community bill writing workshop in South Florida. Twenty five Larkin University attended the workshop and connected with Representative Jones. The event sparked such enthusiasm, that Representative Jones offered to come to speak to Larkin University students and faculty about how to effectively advocate for our profession. With the tremendous help and support from our SSHP advisor, Dr. Jordan Sedlacek, and our APhA-ASP advisors, Drs. Christiane Chbib and Paul Boylan, we hosted Representative Jones at Larkin University.
What was the goal of your program?
We wanted to educate others on the importance of advocating for changes in our profession and how to effectively use their voices while speaking to legislators.
How did your event turn out?
Over 50 students and faculty members of Larkin University were educated on grassroots advocacy efforts during the event. A video conference was set up for those unable to be present. By bringing House Representative Jones to our campus, we learned about the legislator’s point of view on issues that we bring to their attention. Students who were not involved in advocacy efforts in the past have since expressed interest in how they can help push our profession forward through advocacy.
What are your words of wisdom for SSHPs seeking to increase their advocacy efforts?
- Get to know your legislators by attending their community events and building a network
- Find out what issues your society is passionate about and speak to legislators about these issues. Make sure you are well prepared with answers and be genuine about the topic.
- While planning for this event, allow enough time for your school’s approval. Send out emails, post flyers, and ask participants to RSVP to keep track of how many people are interested in attending.
- Choose a time that will have the best turnout. Consider holding the event during a week with no exams and directly after school.
- Prepare questions to ask the legislator so it can be a discussion rather than a lecture
About this SSHP:
Larkin University College of Pharmacy SSHP is an ASHP Recognized Society.