FDA Seeks to Answer Internet Pharmacy Question
As part of an action plan to deal with online pharmacies, the FDA has established “Principles of Understanding” with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) and the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States. The principles clarify the authority of each entity to implement laws and regulations for Internet pharmacies. The FDA’s action plan also states that the agency will:
- Expand its enforcement efforts,
- Identify other federal agencies for joint activities,
- Work with nonfederal groups to address domestic Internet sales,
- Inform consumers about the potential dangers of electronic purchases, and
- Inform Congress about how existing laws and regulations should be augmented to adequately address Internet pharmacies.
NABP has already put its stamp of approval on certain Internet pharmacies (see www.nabp.net/vipps/intro.asp). ASHP’s Board of Directors endorsed the principles at its November 1999 meeting.