The New Practitioners Forum Leadership Development Advisory Group has developed this resource to assist individuals in establishing a leadership journal club at your practice site.
Increased leadership exposure through residency and in the workforce may help improve gaps in knowledge and skills such as managerial development, compassionate leading, and creating change in the workplace. Pharmacists can achieve this independently or with cooperative learning (Wombwell E. et al. Leadership journal club. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2011; 68: 2026–7). Cooperative learning is the “instructional use of small groups so that students work together to maximize their own and each other’s learning”. (Joining together group theory and group skills. David Johnson-Frank Johnson - Pearson – 2013).
A journal club format is one way to promote learning and provide exposure to leadership topics. Through participation in the leadership journal club, individuals will be able to:
- Define leadership in the profession of pharmacy
- Describe key concepts in effective pharmacy leadership
- Formulate strategies to improve leadership skills
Below is a list of available formats and resources that can be helpful in implementation of a leadership journal club at your institution, residency program, or college/school of Pharmacy.
- Starting a Leadership Journal Club
- Journal Club Outlines and Examples
- Example handouts and outlines are available to help in facilitating discussion and reviewing the main points of the article.There are several formats you can use to create your own Leadership Journal Club experience.
- Leadership Journal Club Handout Example 1
- Leadership Journal Club Handout Example 2
- Leadership Journal Club Handout Example 1 Filled Out
- Leadership Journal Club Handout Example 2 Filled Out
- Articles by Leadership Concept Format
- Participants can select an article from one of the six leadership categories to host a journal club on a select topic.
- Once you have covered one concept, move on to the next!
- One-Year Residency Program Format
- Participants can follow the formatted monthly schedule of select topics, such as Harvey AK Whitney Award lectures, to discuss over a one-year time-frame with residents and the pharmacy department.
- One-Year Self-Paced Leadership Program Format
- Participants can follow a formatted monthly schedule for select topics, such as interviews with pharmacy leaders by Sara J. White, to complete at their own pace over a one-year time-frame.
- Other Recommended Articles and Books